how to put my video onto the computer

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by xzsawq, Jun 13, 2005.

1. xzsawq

xzsawq Member

I recorded a video and i want to put it onto my computer, is there a software that can do this and i have a JVC camcorder and the only thing i know how to do is take images from the video and input it onto the computer, the software wont let me save videos on my computer

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You're apparently connecting your camera with USB (used for transfer of stills).
    To capture video, use a Firewire connection: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/basics/transfer.php
    Use any of the available freeware programs to capture. You can download a couple of them here:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/downloads/freedownloads.php
    You can also use MovieMaker, built in Windows XP, but be aware of some common mistakes doing that:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/tutorials/moviemakermistakes.php

3. xzsawq

xzsawq Member

OK, thanks for the info.

4. xzsawq

xzsawq Member

What software is best to convert the video to my computer?

5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

6. xzsawq

xzsawq Member

yea im usign a mini Dv ok so any program does the same qulaity ok thanks for the info

7. xzsawq

xzsawq Member

also will a codec make the picture quality better? if it does which one do you suggest or will a player like windows media player or etc make the quality better?

8. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Your material on the tape is compressed using a DV codec and after transfer it will still be compressed with DV codec. You don't need to do anything and certainly you don't want to recompress it with another codec (except for the purpose of making smaller files, DVD's, internet sharing etc.).
    Some people will tell you that certain DV codecs are better than others, but if there is a quality difference it is hardly noticeable...

9. xzsawq

xzsawq Member

ok thx for the info, but out of curiosity the new camcorders (mini dvd) will display better quality right?

10. jbanghart

jbanghart Member

>>the new camcorders (mini dvd) will display better quality right?

I bought a medium end JVC DV recorder about 4 years ago. It recently went on the blink, so I searched around and finally settled on a low end Canon.

The first thing I would say is that no, video quality has not improved over these past years. I guess if would have went higher end and got a 3 CCD model it might have improved some. But the fact is the 4 year old JVC had great quality as does the 2 month old Canon.

But everything else has improved. The Canon has 22x optical zoom vice the JVC's 10x and that's definitly a nice plus.

Sound quality has definitly improved. But on this I'm not sure if that's the result of 4 years of improvements or that Canon just uses better quality microphones. My daughter was in two plays this year, and I recorded both of them, the first with the JVC and the second with the Canon. Both times I was in approx the same spot. Audio on the JVC really sucked. The Canon picked up everything on stage very well.

That's my 2 cents anyway.