Huge AVI files

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by ricster, Jul 5, 2005.

1. ricster

ricster Regular member

A while ago I was slowly going through my MiniDV tapes and capturing them with NeroVision Express. Typical file sizes were around 12Gb for a 60 min tape. Well, I've come back to it a few months later and I'm seeing some huge file sizes for the captured AVI. For example I just caputured 60 secs. footage and it resulted in a > 1Gb AVI. I can't remember the precise settings I was using a while back but I'm sure I was just specifying uncompressed video and audio. The resulting huge AVI appears to be 720x576, 4:3, 25 fps. Can somebody suggest why I'm seeing such massive files ?

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Well, you already answered your own question ;-)
    You write that you capture "just uncompressed video"...that is not a good idea, it will result in huge files and it does serve any purpose.
    Be aware that video on miniDV is not uncompressed, it is compressed using a DV codec, so just transfer it as DV and you're OK.

Out of curiosity: how did you do it, capturing to uncompressed? I assume that you used an analog connection?

3. ricster

ricster Regular member

But I'm sure that's what I did originally. Maybe not. It definitely generated AVI files since I still have them. The other options are DV1 or DV2. Would those still generate AVI's ?

No analog involved. Just firewire. In Nerovision you can choose a custom setting and in there it gives you the option to specify uncompressed video and audio.

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Very interesting ricster.
    I checked it out. When you specify custom settings in Nero, one of the options is "uncompressed (or standard)". If you select that it will not generate uncompressed on my system, but DV-AVI (so it reverts to "standard"). If you want to study your big file, you can use Gspot for that: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/downloads/freedownloads.php

AVI is just a container that can contain all kind of compressed video and audio (or uncompressed, which is very very rare). When you trandfer DV it will aslo be placed inside an AVI file. Read this: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/techinfo/avi.php It also contains info about DV type1 and type2.

5. ricster

ricster Regular member

Thanks. I tried DV1 last night and I'm back to 12/13Gb. Thanks for those links.