Hum! from stereo, Turntable is grounded???

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by gemineye7, Jul 9, 2009.

1. gemineye7

gemineye7 Member

Hi folks! looking for a bit of sound advice here, This has me puzzled.....
    I have a nasty "hum" comming from my stereo when its on, Now! This is my set up, The stereo is a technics sf-dv-290 stack system, i have 2 cdj 400s, 1 technics 1210mk2 leading into a pionner djm 600 mixer running into the stereo, (the turntable is defo grounded ;) ) also running into the stereo is a digi box, Now when i turn the volume up fully on the digi box, and lower the volume on the stero, the "hum" isnt so bad, its still thare though, But when im playing music its really bad, when im playing dvds on the stereos player its fine, no "hum" ????? Im lost, any ideas.......

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

the first thing to do is to isolate where the hum is coming from by process of elimination.

from what i understand, you have 2 turntable and 2 cd players that go into a mixer, and that mixer along with a digidesign (mbox or 002?) is connected to the stereo receiver. correct?

turn all your components on. turn the volume on the stereo to a set level and leave it there. one by one, turn off (then back on) each component to see if having a certain device off eliminates the hum.

next, with everything on, start unplugging the various components. start at the stereo. unplug the mixer. if the hum goes away, then the problem isn't the stereo. do that for all the components to try and isolate the problem.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a user submitted guides issue.