I hate windows messenger and XP

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ruxton28, Feb 20, 2003.

1. ruxton28

ruxton28 Member

I use windows XP and windows messenger.
    When I try to initiate a whiteboard or file transfer session I cannot accomplish this. When the other person does so it works.
    I find that it works if I disable the internet connection firewall in XP and leave my Zone Alarm Pro enabled so that problem solved!

When I installed a webcam and mic/headset I cant initiate a video/voice conference with anyone else who doesn’t have XP.
    EG someone with 95/98/ME
    I get the message

" you cannot have a voice conversation with xxxxx this person needs one or more of the following. MSN messenger 4.0 or above, computer with sound card or permission from administrator"
    What does this mean and why "voice"

I CAN receive video from someone using win 95/98/ME when they start up netmeeting.
    On the microsoft website it says that to use a third party firewall such as Zone Alarm You should enable ports 5004-65535 for incoming traffic, to enable ports 6891 -6900 for file transfer, 1503 for application sharing and whiteboard and 3839 for remote assistance.

I checked this and all ports are open by default

On the microsoft website it also says that all parties should have the latest version of messenger. Can I have comments as to what I need to do to have video/voice conferences / chats from XP to 95/98/ME?
    Maybe I should try yahoo messenger instead which isnt microsoft dependent?
    Ged

2. ruffled

ruffled Guest

I use msn and yahoo with xp,but I only do voice etc.on yahoo as I have the same prob.download yahoo,easier solution I think,lol,by the way,,my last name is Ruxton,,what a small world lol

3. fruitfly

fruitfly Member

I just use trillian. Then you can use anymessenger service all in one program. It works well for me.