I/O DEVICE ERROR

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by vlad, Aug 21, 2003.

1. vlad

vlad Member

I USE A MAXTOR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WITH BOTH USB AND FIREWIRE CONNECTIONS. MY MOTHERBOARD WAS RECENTLY CHANGED AND WHENEVER I TRY TO ACCESS THE EXTERNAL HD USING THE USB CONNECTION I GET THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:
    THE REQUEST COULD NOT BE PERFORMED BECAUSE OF AN I/O DEVICE ERROR.

IF I USE THE FIREWIRE, EVERYTHING IS FINE. I HAVE ANOTHER EXTERNAL DRIVE WITH ONLY A USB CONNECTION AND THE SAME THING HAPPENS.

WOULD APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL ADVICE.

THANKS

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing you are using a USB2 connection for the harddrive? If so make sure you connect the USB2 cable to the USB2 port (and not the USB1.1 port) and ensure you install the USB2 motherboard drivers too! :)

3. vlad

vlad Member

I installed drivers that came with the motherboard cd-rom. I also installed windows xp servicepack 1 but pretty much had everything on it. i'm wondering if it could be something other than the drivers. i am using the usb2 connection to the hard drive.

thanks

4. vlad

vlad Member

new development. it turns out that it is only video files that i'm having a problem with. word, excel, turbotax and other files freely transfer between the external hd and an internal hd. i'm also having a problem with video capture freezing the computer from time to time when i use the ati card.

the ati site mentions nuimerous compatibility problems between ati video boards and via chips.

will keep you informed.

thanks for your help.