I want to add RAM to my xbox. YES. ADD RAM.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by The_Id, Aug 1, 2004.

1. The_Id

The_Id Member

Is there anyway to decifer whether or not another piece... no... is there any way to insert new RAM into the xbox in place of the old stuff? I was gonna boost to 256 megs, and try to eliminate the slow-down in some of the more graphically intense games. Help?

2. eggbert52

eggbert52 Regular member

Suspense with the idiotic first sentence that makes no sense...what do you want to improve? Emulators?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Egg[/small]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
  3. The_Id

The_Id Member

keep your ego in your pants oh wise one. I wanted to actually take the ram out of the xbox, and put in faster ram. More of it too. Just wondering if anyone had successfully done this, and if they had anything to let me know.

More ram in the xbox wouldn't speed up just emulators, it would make slowdown less apparent in many games I think. Which is the reason why people go xbox in the first place. Power. No?

4. eggbert52

eggbert52 Regular member

It's not that I think I am wise...I just don't think I have to be dramatic ala John Kerry to get my point across. Xbox games are only designed to make use of the current RAM therefore it would not matter. Emulators on the other hand might benefit from this. There is actually a system online that adds more memory. However, until the new emulators can make use of this there wouldn't be much of a reason. However, I hear the the new MameOx utilizes more RAM.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Egg[/small]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
  5. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

6. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

a lot of slow down in games isnt due to the main ram of the xbox, theyre programmed and make that way, a good exmple is looking at the modified box that have faster cpu etc etc, it makes no difference to the xbox game whatsover. They are made around a retail xbox configuration, so modding your xbox, ie adding memory, to improve xbox games, wont improve em.
    Egg is completely right in what he said regarding ram.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Ignorance isn't bliss.....It's just costly![/small]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2004
  7. The_Id

The_Id Member

Well.... crap. Thanks then.

8. Scotsmen

Scotsmen Guest

HI

Ok firstly like has been posted already adding ram wont improve your xbox games. One of the main reasons that ram memory is added to the xbox motherboard is for running emulators.

And the memory chip in a xbox motherboard are SURFACE mounted that means they are soldered to the board.

The motherboard does have spare locations to accept more ram, but like has been said already its a reall ball ache to carry out

( I have done it once using solder paste and a steady hand) but if I was to do it again I would make a custom tip "square" and attach the soldering iron to a pillar drill press to solder the whole chip at once.

So it might not be best for the inexperienced to attempt methinks

Regards