i'm scurrrred...my comp is makin funny noises

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by {TKO}, Dec 3, 2003.

1. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

i know for a fact that it wasn't making this noise before....it just started today....the harder the hard drive is working the more it makes a buzzing/rattling kinda noise....like right now that i'm on the net it's just like a really fast heartbeat...but if i try opening progs or doing anything else...it does it real bad.....what's goin on?...dela, praetor---HELP! or any1 else...any help will be greatly appreciated

2. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

also...my pc seems to be running slower...i don't know if it's related, but i had just run liveupdate for norton system works and that's when i noticed, not when it started but when i noticed it, after i restarted the pc....now if i try to run the disk doctor and it says that the c: is being used by another prog and cannot run...hope it helps with diagnosing my problem. thanx ahead of time

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Turn your computer on, do not juke the case
    2. When you hear the noise try to locate its source without moving anything
    3. Open the case carefully as not to potentially move anything. Determine the source of the noise (check PSU, Vid card those are the big culprits)
    4. Run something like DiskDoctor or other HDD checking programs
    5. Run a defrag/speeddisk
    6. When Diskdoctor says C: is being used by another program thats fine.... that just means it cant repair and stuff (thats because your OS is on your C drive, Diskdoctor needs exclusive access to the drive to fix stuff so thats not really a problem).

If the noise being made is a REALLY loud grind (55+ db) then your HDD is toast and you should make every effort to recover data ASAP. Otherwise I suspect it is just the normal drive access noise.

Also, soemthing to check is the PIO vs DMA setting, having it on PIO will result in a lot more drive access.

4. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

you know what happened brotha, i restarted the pc and it was running slower than ever..when i checked the performance the cpu was running at 100% and wouldn't stop...it wouldn't even shut down....so i X'ed the power and left it for about 5 minutes....when i turned it back on, everything back to normal....i ran a virus check....WinDoctor....and nothing.....this was last night and i haven't had problems since.....go figure.....thanx for the advice though....i'll save it for if i ever do need it

5. Matador

Matador Regular member

I guess it was a rough app. lol That shit all ways happens w/ explorer.exe

6. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

i have had probs before with explorer.exe...i.e. it kicks me out for no reason...i wonder is netscape any better?...is it available for free download?....is there a better browser available for download?

7. Matador

Matador Regular member

When I mean explorer.exe I mean the app that lets you see the GUI and navigate tru ur OS.Not the browser..

Yes thers a better browser try Opera... ^__^

8. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

duh on my part...i didn't mean .exe, just the Internet Explorer it self.....also the damn prob is back...it happens almost every other boot....question..if it is the hard drive, then even if i restore the prob will still be there, correct?

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like your HD is in the early stages of taking a big dump. With your case open have you isolated where the noise is coming from like Praetor suggested? If its rattling and such it seems like the innards may be giving out. Is the HD very old?

Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird are pretty sweet free browsers as well. They both get updates regularly and get better and better. I've been using Mozilla for about six months now and would never go back.

10. RiPsTeR01

RiPsTeR01 Guest

Defrag your hdd and run scandisk it was most likly ur read heads looking for data

11. Matador

Matador Regular member

Download Opera....It's sweet!!!

12. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

i did open the case like prae said, but the problem is it doesn't do it every time i boot the pc, it does it off and on....but get this, since the last thing i did was update Norton, i got curious and uninstalled the norton system works....and guess wut...it hasn't done it since...can any1 explain that?.....i have since reinstalled the NSW and only updated the virus definitions...and no probs so far...weird huh?

the hdd is old and i have run the defrag and scandisk, but it was still doing it till i did the uninstall...hmm?

13. Praetor

I have some suspicisions but what exactly was your installation configuration for NSW (i.e., what components did you install and which were running in the background)?

14. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

i apologize ahead of time for being a computard.....when i origially installed the NSW i left it all in....when i ran the update, i was browsing the net....and it was downloading a ridiculously large amount of data....i'm not positive, but it was something like 2456352Kb....that's what made me suspicious at first....then it installedand the prob started......the second time i installed NSW (after the aforementioned uninstall), i again installed all components, but upon the second update, i only got the virus definitions and virus update...and nothing else was running....no broswing either....i really hope that's what you asked cause i wasn't sure....and if not i apologize again for my computardedness....i'm slowly learning though thanx to this wonderful site......thanx

15. RiPsTeR01

RiPsTeR01 Guest

that usually means YOU READ HEADS ARE HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING THOSE 1's and zeros, DEFRAG and RUN SCANDISK(complete)

16. Praetor

RiPsTeR01:
    1. Eaaaaaaasy.
    2. He DID run a defrag and scandisc
    3. The primary cause of noise with older drives is (pre)failure -- the older drives arent usually big enough that the average user will be having numerous multi-gigabyte files that the noise would be from file-access -- nor would systems using older drives be running games and applications that require massive file loading which would case noise -- one of the only likely culprits left is hdd failure which is plausible given old drives).

{TKO}: If you have done a scandisc, defrag and viruscheck and still have noise issues, run a disc docter check and if that doesnt identify things then chalk it up to gremlins of if you suspect, it might be a hdd failure. How big is your drive anyways?

17. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

Maxtor 40GB HDD Ultra DMA and get this...it's been about 3 days now that i unistalled and reinstalled the NSW with virus update only...and no noises....i was also wondering, other than the anti-virus is any other aspect of the NSW really necessary for a newb like me....and is McAfee any better for newbs?

18. Praetor

1. The drive is old yes but IMO I dont think its old enough to warrant that kind of drive noise. I suspect it was just a case of gremlins (what were you doing when you heard the noises or was it a constant noise)

2. Synamtec is good stuff. :)

19. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

the last thing i remember is installing the first set of updates....before uninstalling.....so, stick to NSW then?

20. Praetor

I would reccommend you go slowly, installing one thing at a time and such until you isolate the problem :)