Immediate Help Needed! DVD Burner Problem!

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by DVDDemon, Sep 10, 2003.

1. DVDDemon

DVDDemon Member

I just finished successfully backing up a DVD using Decryptor. But when I tried to preview it, WinDVD didn't recognize that anything was in the drive. I went to Windows Media Player and the same thing. I went to "My Computer" and it didn't recognize a dvd being in the drive. I went to Decryptor (read mode) and it said device not ready. I went to DVD Shrink (open disk) and it said no disk in drive E. Does this mean that the laser is gone or my drive is burnt out? This is a new HP Pavillion 854 Media Center only 3 or so months old. DANG!!! I have called HP and they said to save everything to disc to restart the system and call back, but how can we save everything to disc when the burner is not reading any discs? Any suggestions before I call HP back (it takes them forever to answer the dang phone)?

2. Tosca

Tosca Guest

I will assume that you tried other discs besides the burned one?

It would be quite embarrassing if it was just a crappy disc and not the drive...

3. DVDDemon

DVDDemon Member

It's a horrible experience having to call HP Support b/c we generally have a hold time of 1 hr. (no lie)! But after several calls and tries at solving the problem (deleting/reinstalling programs, deleting/reinstalling DRIVE E:, system recovery) nothing worked. DUH (I told the tech that it was the drive but he said they have to go thru those steps first) They ended up sending me another DVD Writer (HP 200I) the original was (HP 300I) and this one works. So it was the Drive like I said and not the software.