Importing video from Canon ZR800 to iMovie 08'?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by SimmZ, Dec 8, 2007.

1. SimmZ

SimmZ Member

This is my first digital camcorder, but I already use one 4 years ago (I borrow it from work for a few weeks). The one I used in 2003 was a Canon ZR500, it was the cheapest camera in this time. Here's my question now:

"Yesterday I was importing a movie from my ZR800 into my iMovie (08') and it was importing at real time. I mean... if I have 10 minutes of video into the digicam, I took 10 minutes to import. I there a settings somewhere to import faster (inside the digicam or inside iMovie 08)?"

Because with the ZR500 (4 years ago), it was importing a lot faster than real time, it took around 2 minutes for a 20 minutes video! And the ZR500 was also the entry level camera from Canon 4 years ago.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Any quality capture, via firewire, is real time.

3. SimmZ

SimmZ Member

I don't understand... with the ZR500, 4 years ago, it took around 2 minutes to import 20 minutes of realtime video.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Look in the manual for the video camera, or the software to see if you can do it.

I can't imagine the quality being any good, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  5. SimmZ

SimmZ Member

Well, I already look into my ZR800 manual, but they do not mention too much about importing video into the computer. There is only a very short paragraph like "plug your camera into the computer, then import your video, enjoy!". I also take a look into Apple iMovie 08 manual but that's the same thing, nothing related to the importing speed.

But I swear, when I do some video editing with the ZR500 I borrowed to work (4 years ago), I record something like an hour of video and it doesn't took over 6 or 7 minutes to import into iMovie (it was the iMovie first version in this time). That's why I'm been VERY surprised when I first import video with my ZR800 last week and import it as realtime video. I can't believe it will take over 63 minutes to import a full tape into my iMovie!!??

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

These are bothe miniDV camcorders and although I have no I have no personla experience wuth these two models, I don't think you can do a transfer faster than real time. I have never heard of any minDV camcorder that can do a full quality transfer at higher speeds than the normal recording speed, so I can't imagine you actually were able to transfer with 10x speed with the ZR800 at any decent quality.
    Some programs can do a fast index of a tape at FF speed, but than they just capture one frame every half second or something.

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Even if it could capture, high speed, from a miniDV camcorder, I sure the hell wouldn't recommend it, if you value the heads of your camcorder.

8. SimmZ

SimmZ Member

Well okay, thank you. I was probably on drugs or something like that when I use the ZR500 4 years ago, making me seeing thing going faster than it was! hahahahahahaha!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007