Impossible to find software for Vista

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Kurt.be, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

Is there anybody who knows af a free program that can copy Digital High Definition tape onto a computer so that the file can be edited?
    I run Vista and so far WinDV, DVIO, DV Capture and AVS cannot do the job in Vista. They all date from 2005 and are not updated. I suspect they cannot work under Vista.
    Anybody have any suggestion?
    Tnx! Kurt

2. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Have you ran the programs in compatability mode in vista? See if that helps.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you have a good High Def camcorder, it is time to open the wallet to purchase a good video editing program that can capture the hi def tapes.

4. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

For a moment I had High hopes to solve the problem as I really believed the compatibility modus would solve the problem. (I even felt pretty supid not to have thought of that myself). But after testing, I ran into the same problems. All the links from trm 27 refer to ripping DVD's, whilst I simply want to copy video tape from a camcorder. But a big thank you anyhow for taking the trouble to respond.
    I understand GrandpaBW's reaction, as my question is not very clear. I only want to copy the tape now to harddisk for archiving purposes. I do not wish to do any editing at all at this point, but want to archive in a format that will allow me to do editing later. It seems a waste to buy a 12 seater bus if you only need to transport 2 persons. I wil buy the bus once I have more than 6 kids... (Win Dv is 92kB, why buy 120mB of software to use only 92kB of it?)

So once again: any tool or little proggie that can copy my tapes onto hadrdisk under Vista and in High Definition (1080i to *.m2t).

Anyone? Please?
    Tnx Kurt

5. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

FOUND IT!

DVDSplit

Does the job: takes my HDVideo tape to harddisk in *.m2t filse while keeping 1080i definition.

Just the thing I needed.

6. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

The links are part of my signature, they weren't meant to be refered to.

7. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

Sorry rtm27, did not realise...

8. drico

drico Member

Hi Kurt

Im having same problem - trying to get sony hi8 digital tapes onto my laptop. Camcorder came with "imagetransfer" software which is not compayable with vista. Can you let me know how you got on with transfer (and any extra cables you needed)

Many thanks

9. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

Hi Drico,
    Hi 8 tapes is a whole different matter. As opposed to digital tape, Hi 8 cannot simpy be transferred to hard disk. I suggest you look further into this site, as it will cover most of what you need to know. One warning: it is not a simple thing to transfer Hi8 to computer. But the forums,and possibly even the guides will give you lots of information and help.
    Greets,
    Kurt

10. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

Hi Drico,
    But then you make me wonder: DIGITAL Hi8? Is that possible? As far as I know, Hi8 cannot be digital... MiniDV tape can,but Hi8?...
    let me know
    Greets,
    Kurt