Insignia Digital camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by GaryAl, Apr 13, 2009.

1. GaryAl

GaryAl Member

I have an AVI from Insignia Digital camcorder an I movie from my nephew that I downloaded to my laptop but can't play it. I've tried media player and MS movie but that will only give me audio...can anyone tell what I need to play this?
    Thanks

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Media Player Classic should work.

3. GaryAl

GaryAl Member

PFloyd

Thanks I used the 64 bit program with vista and it works great....Thanks!!

garyAl

4. pcbeach

pcbeach Member

GaryAl and PFloyd, I don't know if you are listening but I bought one of those cameras a week ago with the intent of doing simple recordings and making DVDs for people to watch on their tvs. I have been struggling with this problem since then.
    From what I can determine the camera records in a .avi file that really is a container for xvid. The first problem I ran into was two of my computers could play the file in windows media player and two could not. I have vista home premium on three and XP on the other. Windows Media Center could never play right on any of the computers. (Sound was ok but a black screen on video.) I went thru a hassle with downloading codecs before even the media player would work.
    I have yet to burn a DVD from this avi file. I saw another forum that suggested a free software called DVDflick or something like that and I am trying that now. I know for sure Windows DVD Maker or Windows Movie Maker will not accept the file. Maybe someone can help me.
    Thanks.

5. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

6. GaryAl

GaryAl Member

pcbeach

Click on the link in pfloyds note or do a search for media player classic it will play your files. This is not windows media player is that what was confusing. I have Vista home prem 64 bit and it works great....on the PC I haven't tried it for making a dvd to play.
    try here http://afterdawn.com/
    good luck
    GaryAl

7. pcbeach

pcbeach Member

GaryAl
    Thanks for the info. I installed Movie Player Classic and tried again. Same results. Audio but no video and I get the message " Media Player Classic could not render some of the pins in the graph, you may not have the needed codecs or filters installed on the system"
    Any ideas?
    Thanks - pcbeach

8. GaryAl

GaryAl Member

pcbeach,

I'm stumped although it odd that other programs seem t6o give you the same result. I have Vista Home premium but it is the 64 bit program not the 32 bit...are you sure you have the one that matches your operating system
    this is what I used "mplayerc_homecinema_x64_v1.2.908.0"
    Maybe some one else can help.... good luck
    GaryAl

9. pcbeach

pcbeach Member

GaryAl,
    No I am not sure. I just used the link above in this thread for Media Player Classic and downloaded Mplayerc_2008127(1). Where did you find the one you downloaded? Do you have a link?
    Thanks
    Pcbeach

10. GaryAl

GaryAl Member

11. pcbeach

pcbeach Member

GaryAl
    Thanks. It worked! This player played the files from the Insignia on my 64 bit system. I wish Windows DVD Maker or Movie Maker would do the same but no luck. I am going to have to use DVD Flick to create and burn DVD's until Microsoft brings their programs into the 64bit world or until Insignia updates their driver software. Since the Insignia driver seems to be nothing more than Ffdshow, I wonder if the Ffdshow website would have a 64 bit driver or software compatible with the Insignia Avi files.
    Thanks again
    Pcbeach

12. adietz

adietz Member

I bought 2 of these camcorders and several 32GB SDHC cards. The equipment works OK. I wish you could actually focus the lens rather than picking one of 3 ranges and the LCD is next to impossible to read in bright sun. The pics and videos are passable (intense colours)
    But.....
    I'm looking for the INSIGNIA driver. I'm using both XP Pro and Vista and when I plug in the cams using the USB cable and then turn the CAM ON (green light), Windows wants to install a driver. Its not found on their CD nor on their web site. An email to Insignia came back with contact your seller. Has anyone found it?

13. pcbeach

pcbeach Member

adietz,
    The driver is actually on the small cd supplied with the camera. I think it actually shows up as "FFDSHOW" on your computer after the install. You can also download the driver from the insignia website. If you have an XP or Vista 32 bit OS you should be ok but you are going to go crazy trying to get your camcorder to work consistently on a 64 bit OS.
    Good luck in trying to get live support from Insignia.
    By the way, look closely at the lens on these cameras. There is a protective film on the lens that is almost impossible to see. Many people have shot movies thru this film (including myself) without realizing this. I happened to see this on a Best Buy forum. I checked my camera and the film was there. The recordings were actually coming out ok, but did improve after I removed the protective film.