Internet RECORDS: Encrypt, hide or obfuscate?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jlrm365, Apr 5, 2009.

1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Internet records to be stored for a year

I am not asking about ethics / opinions. We all have views but, instead, I'd like to see if a question can be answered:

Is there any way to:
    - encrypt
    - hide
    - obfuscate
    your internet traffic - at least as far as browsing is concerned - so as to render the stored information useless?

I remember emule having some sort of obfuscation, to combat traffic shaping.

Torrent users can use utorrent and encrypt their traffic. I have used it and always assumed that it leaves the traffic being visible but not what that traffic is.

Is there anything that has the same effect for / on browsing? While we might not be able to hide that we are browsing, can we hide what we are browsing?

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  3. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

It looks good, but I am gaming this evening and so will check it out tomorrow, when I can properly consider it. I'll report back, when I have. Thanks.

4. alewis

alewis Member

OpenDNS isnt going to help!

What exactly are you trying to achieve? If it is "obfuscate" your email, then use a mail system that is not hosted in the UK (ie NOT hotmail.co.uk, or your ISP provided POP3 mailbox).

If it is covering your browsing tracks, then you need some sort of anonymous browsing server (anonomyzer... though that particular server was shut down back in 2001? 2002?). AKA a remote proxy service, with an SSL encrypted tunnel between you and it. And if you are truly paranoid, a "cleaner" system that runs on your hard disk at the end of each browsing session... and set your browser cache to 0 bytes, no cookies...

Begs the question... "why bother" though.

5. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

To tell me that OpenDNS will not work is to understand what I am trying to achieve.

"While we might not be able to hide that we are browsing, can we hide what we are browsing?"

It is merely a question to be answered / ignored.

I'll report back, when I have properly checked OpenDNS.

6. alewis

alewis Member

eh? Are you on a controlled substance ;-)

OpenDNS is just that - a public DNS system. Yes, it has some bells and whistles to reduce some malicious attacks, but that is it. It does not provide any form of secure proxy. Which is what you are looking for.

openDNS is simply a replacement for your ISP's DNS service. Thats it. The person who pointed you at openDNS in all possibility did not understand what you are trying to do, or what DNS actually is, and hence why openDNS will not do what you want.

Your traffic will always be visible. If the traffic is encrypted in an SSL session, then the ISP will only see packets of "garbage" - or what can be identified as encryped traffic, but not the contents. And if you use a proxy service, then your ISP will not know where the traffic is ultimately coming from.

7. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Your last paragraph was useful. I'll send a private message, as I have a few more questions that might not aid the thread.