iPhone 3G Termination

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by nitrous3, Aug 2, 2008.

1. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

I would like to purchase the iPhone 3G for $200, than terminate the contract after the first month. So is it possible to get the Phone for:
    $200(for the Phone)+$175(Termination)+$36(activation)+$75(1st month bill)+taxes=about $500? Thanks in advance.

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yes this is possible. Simply buy the iphone you want and sign up for the cheapest possible phone/data plan offered by your carrier. And then after the first month terminate the contract and pay the associated fee. It will still be less expensive then just flat out buying a iPhone from the Apple Store.

A word to the wise don't buy a white 3G iPhone. The casing reportedly cracks very easily under normal use. As shown by this Apple Support thread and numerous news stories.

3. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

thanks. I'll probably buy the 8GB 3G iPhone 3G, and do this plan. I'm in the U.S. so I will use mine for T-Mobile. I'll wait a couple of months until they develop Installer 4.0. Hoping to get around $300 for my old 1.1.4 iPhone 3G 4GB model.

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I used this guide to get out of a contract without paying a early termination fee.

It involves a loophole in the customer agreements for cellular providers. Here is the customer agreement for ATT's Cellular Service.
    Heres the paragraph that you would be interested in....(important parts bolded)
    So it is the State And Federal Universal Service fee that changes quite regularly and if this "causes you to be unable to afford your current plan" you can leave within 30 days of the price change without paying a early termination fee.

So is it cheaper to pay the termination fee or take a bet that the state service fee that ATT regulates will change in a month and you will be able to back out of your contract.

5. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

so when will att change the rate of text messaging so I can use this technique? Is it easy to do?

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a sell your stuff issue.

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

The rate I was talking about was actually the State and Federal Universal Service Fee, in the video the guy talks about the instant messaging rate. But the rate I talk about apparently changes quite often. On one side you stand to use a legal loophole to save $175, on the other hand your betting that the rate will change in time that so that you can cancel(using this method) before the monthly charges exceed the cost of the termination fee.

And to answer you second question, no this is going to be a uphill fight against AT&T for your money back. Expect a fight.

8. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

Ok I understand what you mean now. I might give it a shot when I get a 3G iPhone in October, but if not its still ok because I will sell my old one for $300 unlocked so its basically like $200 extra.