Is my Toshiba SD-1700 the cause of my problems?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by 2talll, Jul 18, 2005.

1. 2talll

2talll Regular member

I am having lots of problems with movies that I burned playing correctly on the Toshiba SD-1700 and then not working right with DVDShrink. Is it caused by the DVD player? I have A LOT of movies that will freeze with about 10 seconds left in the movie. Then when I try to use DVDShrink to re-copy it, I get a "cycle redundancy error." It also won't play in Intervideo winDVD. However, if I put the movies in my laptop BEFORE using the DVD player- DVDShrink and Intervideo open them fine.

Is it time to get a new DVD player?

2. bilg25

bilg25 Regular member

Are you playing back up copies of movies?

And if so then what media are you using?

3. 2talll

2talll Regular member

Yeah, the majority of the movies I'm having problems with are back-ups but I also have problems with a lot of "real" movies as well- either my personal copies I bought or rented ones.

The media being used is a full range- from the most expensive to the cheapest I found on sale, and I have the same type of problems with all types.

4. bilg25

bilg25 Regular member

Yeah see i'm having problems with my movies that i back up freezing and skipping during play too and i cant tell if its my burner or the player. What i can tell you is that if you can get the better media to burn with, usually Verbatims or Taoyo Yuden disks those are the most widely used media used and preferred by most on the forum then those might help you out. You can find them at supermedia.com. But as for the player how old is it and what brand is it?

5. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

If your "store" bought dvds are freezing at the layer change, it is your player. The only way to solve is to get a firmware update for your Toshiba SD-1700. Most likely cheaper to buy a new player.

You will get more compatibility if you can change the booktype for your media - dvd +r's to dvd-rom. This will solve most, but not all. I will get the blue screen on my Toshiba. Freezing, skipping, pixelation, is bad media.

I know from experience, I have a Toshiba SD-2200. At the time, it was cheaper for me to get a firmware update. It cost $40 Cad at a repair depot. The only problem I have now is some burned movies.

6. bilg25

bilg25 Regular member

7. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

bilg25,

Excellent suggestion, I also use DvdInfoPro on my "store" bought dvds if I have a problem with them.

8. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

I also use DvdInfoPro to change the booktype!

9. 2talll

2talll Regular member

I'll check out that program and see if it helps any. THanks.

10. 2talll

2talll Regular member

That program SUCKED!!!! It said there were no errors on the DVDs when checking for errors, but when I clicked on the Media icon on top it froze up my whole computer- even with a parfectly good DVD in the drive! Each time it would stop responding, and Nothing else on my computer would work either- not even shut down. I had to manually shut down by holding the power button down. Also added spyware and ad-aware that wasn't present before installing (I ran Ad-Aware and Spybot before installing and it was clean). Hopefully uninstalling the program and removing the crap using Ad-Aware and Spybot will get rid of it but I have a feeling I'll run HiJackThis to double check that everythign is gone.

11. jpbsarris

jpbsarris Member