Is the a good DVDr Drive? LF-D311SC

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by graysky, Aug 31, 2002.

1. graysky

graysky Guest

I am considering the purchase of a Panasonic LF-D311SC DVDr for $229. Anyone out there own one of these? If so please comment on it (like it/hate it and why). Also wondering how fast the drive does DVD extraction (like with smartripper). Finally, is there another model you all would suggest instead of this one?

My main purpose for buying this is to make backups of my DVD collection.

Here are the specs on the drive:

Storage capacity: 4.7/9.4GB DVD-RAM (rewritable) and 4.7GB DVD-R general use (write-once)
    Write speed: 22.16Mbps maximum on 4.7GB DVD-RAM, 11.08Mbps maximum on 2.6GB DVD-RAM and 11.08Mbps maximum on 4.7GB DVD-R
    Seek times: 75ms DVD-RAM, 65ms DVD-R (general) and 65ms DVD-ROM, CD-ROM
    Compatible with CD-DA, CD-ROM/XA, Photo CD, Video CD, CD-Extra, CD-R, CD-RW
    Buffer capacity: 1MB
    ATAPI interface

2. djdrock

djdrock Member

I bought the LF-D311 in March, and have had great luck with it. I have noticed though, that it does not like generic media very much. One average, one in three discs burn and finalize successfully. When I use media like verbatim, tdk, memorex, it never gives me a problem. DVD extraction is fine. Not the fastest in the world, but for $229, it is a great bargain.

3. Insite

Insite Guest

I've got one of these, too. I haven't experienced any problems at all with generic media. Djdrock is right that it could be quicker, but the price is right. I got mine for $179 from someone on Ebay who had a bunch of them.

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I bought a relitively cheap dvd burner from www.meritline.com and it was pretty good came with 10 free dvd-rs aswell.

5. balabas

balabas Member

6. DivvyD

DivvyD Guest

Hey guys it's great to know that you're getting on well with your drives, but has anyone had any problems with Windows Explorer seeing blank DVD-R disks as Audio CDs? If so, how did you get round it?

7. mercman

mercman Member

The LF-D311SC is $115 on www.computerstop.com (clearance item)