Is there anyway to test if wireless router is still working?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by knfusd, Jun 7, 2010.

1. knfusd

knfusd Regular member

I have an linksys wrt54gc wireless router, brought by my wife that I've had a few years it worked so so never great but I could go online with both my desktop and laptop at the same time. hard drive on the desktop got compromised and had to get it repaired, also picked up a ps3. Now that the desktop is fixed I can't go online through the router, the guy who fixed the desktop said that I have a lousy router and should get a new one. But my funds are low right now and I would like to get by with the piece of crap that I have for now. When i connect my desktop to the router, I can't access the internet Is there a way that I can test or prove that the thing even works. 2 weeks ago I was able to go online on the desktop and on the ps3 at once, but my wife disconnected the wires and now I get nothing. I've been trying for 2 weeks to solve the problem with no luck. Can anyone help? Please!!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

shutdown the computers & ps3. disconnect the power & data cables to the modem & router. count 20 seconds. reconnect the power & data cables to the mode & router in that order. restart the computers & ps3.

3. knfusd

knfusd Regular member

thanks for the response, moderator. Even though I've done this before I tried this again with no response.My question is this: When I take the cable from the modem and connect it to the router and connect an ethernet cable from one of the ports on the router to my desktop should I be able to access the internet on at least the desktop at that time?
    because at certain points I wasn't able to access the internet but had access to the router's set up page. Is that supposed to happen, cause I then went through with the steps of setting up the router's security and all but when done I have no internet access ( ps3 or laptop or desktop ) )unless I remove the internet cable from the router and reconnect it to my desktop. I'm using windows xp would it be better to try using the windows set up wizard to set up a wireless network. I ask this because I hope that the router is working it should be despite not being a good model of router,but if it's burned out or no longer good it would nice to know so I don't rip out what little hair that I have remaining out of my head

4. vinzon

vinzon Member

Sorry I am confused.

Let me try nonetheless.

Can you access the router configuration page? If yes, can you check if its connected to the internet (most routers if not all will tell you if its connected or not)?

Can you try to use the wired port and connect your laptop there via dsl cable? Check also the wireless configuration, maybe it is turned off or something.

I think the router is still working and somehow the configuration has changed. Router has no moving parts and don't overheat much often too so usually routers last a long time PLUS Linksys is one of the known brands and its a very good brand of routers too.

Keep us updated.

5. knfusd

knfusd Regular member

thanks for responding vinzon, unfortunately now my laptop is down as well, ain't I the lucky one. But I did try using my ps3 with no result as well. If your connected to the internet you'll be able to bring up a webpage as soon as you connect the cables to your modem and your router and computer. When I do so I get a "can't connect to the webpage message". But somehow, I can access the router's set up page. Which I thought you couldn't get to without internet access. Which is why I'm wondering if the router is shot.

6. vinzon

vinzon Member

No, you can always access the configuration page even if its not connected to the internet. Try to disconnect the router to the modem but keep the cable connected from the router to your PC. Now try it and for sure you will be able to access the router set up page. The page you are trying to access isn't on the internet, its built in your router.

Can you try to reset the router to factory configuration? Maybe that will sort things out. I believe the reset button is at the bottom of the router. Hold the reset button for about 30 seconds, sometimes eevn longer...yes that long and wait for it to reset.

Everything will be reset to default config.

Default IP address: 192.168.1.1
    Default admin username: <blank>
    Default admin password: admin

HTH.