JVC Everio Question

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Kingofky, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Kingofky

Kingofky Member

It records the video in MPEG-2 and when transfered to PC it saves
    the files as .MOD or .MOI and i was wanting to know what the best way to convert the files to something else so i could run it through Adode
    Premiere Elements because i like it a lot better than the software that came with the camera.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You can simply chenge the extensions to .mpeg
    Adobe Premiere will accept import of mpeg files, however you will notice that whe you put them on the timeline that they need to be rendered, which is a very slow proces. Also, frame accurate editing is a real pain working with mpeg files.
    A nice way of working is to convert the mpeg files to DV-AVI. These can be edited more easily with Premiere. A tutorial to do the conversion can be found here:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/tutorials/dvdedit.php (it was written for editing DVD-cam footage, but you can also use it for simple MPEG files).

3. Kingofky

Kingofky Member

Hey thanks for the help, greatly appreciated man

4. panchdara

panchdara Member

And... I tried out WinAVIVideoConverter and it converts directly from .MOD into AVI (and the file size was 1/2 that of the .MOD with little noticable distortion). Adobe Premier Elements 2 can read the .MOD files directly and can export to whatever format you want too. I had errors when I tried to install that crap Cyberlink s/w so Premiere won my vote. Now, just gotta figure how to use it! :) Heck... this converter is better than Premiere, but has no editing features....

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  5. Kingofky

Kingofky Member

Thanks for the adivce it looks like i'm going to have to get the WinAVI Converter or up grade to premiere 2.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  6. mrtwonk

mrtwonk Guest

Hi can you help.

I have a JVC Everio and I have been trying to transfare it to my pc so I can edit it with my Pinicale software. I am using a Dazzle unit to download it to my pc but the picture comes out all jerky and I drop hundreds of frames. How do you download to your pc, am I doing it all wrong.

Your advice on how you do it would be appriciated..
    Dave Liverpool

ps I am not technically brilliant....

7. Kingofky

Kingofky Member

First of all do you have a 2.0 USB on your PC. Thats the best way to transfer use the cable that came with the camera, and just drag and drop. I can download about 2 hrs. of video in about 25 mins.With no drop frames or any thing else wrong.

8. panchdara

panchdara Member

mrtwonk,
    You should copy the .MOD file directly to the PC BEFORE editing, and edit directly on the PC (and by that I mean don't copy from the Everio to another external USB drive, but rather to a drive directly on the system (IDE/SCSSI).... even with USB2 speeds, I think that USB2 is too slow for direct editing.