Keep TRV350 or return for miniDV?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by macdv, Feb 9, 2004.

1. macdv

macdv Member

I recently received the Sony TRV350 as a gift and am interested in getting more involved in creating my own home videos of our kids and other family events. I have been reading all the debates regarding D8 vs. miniDV and have heard many conflicting arguements. If I was only willing to spend and additional $100-200 am I better off keeping the TRV350 or is there a miniDV in that price range that is better? Some additional information that may help... two features that I like about the TRV350 are the 20x optical zoom and the built-in video light. Also I will be bringing the footage into a G4 Mac using either iMovie or Final Cut Pro. Any information is appreciated. Thanks

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

i would get a minidv format. you will find it easier to use with the computer. i don't have any specific camera recs, but i do have a sony and like it. I have heard good things about the canons also.

3. bjclarke

bjclarke Member

I have a TRV350 and have been very satisfied with it. EXCEPT, I cannot get my edited video to copy back to the camera. I tried numerous software including, Pinnicle, Intervideo, and Movie Maker, all without success. Sony was of no help. I found others who also had the same problem. If you burn back to DVD then this is not a problem.

4. tjh79

tjh79 Guest

IMO, based on personal experience, customer feedback, and magazine/web reviews, Sonys and Canons are the best.

I agree that you will find a miniDV to be much more computer friendly. I'm a VERY satisfied Sony TRV10 owner. If your budget will allow try to get into a TRV19 or TRV22. Sony should soon be releasing new models in this line. Their new model Hi8 and Digital8 cams have just appeared in retail locations this past week.

I have also had very good experience selling the Canons, especially the ZR65, but it has just been discontinued. Find it if you can while supplies last. The advantage of the Canon over the Sony is that it meets your zoom preference.