Koss KS5121 ( plays xvid )

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by coastin, Nov 18, 2005.

1. coastin

coastin Regular member

hey i just bought this and i want to know if it plays data disc full of avi files that are put onto a dvd-r.

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Why don't you stick one in and try it out?

3. coastin

coastin Regular member

it plays but it freezes and skips alot and i burnt it at the slowest speed

4. docbill

docbill Member

I just baught one at Canadian Tire for $59.98. It is suppose to play divx and mpeg4 avi's. I tried it on some AVI's I had on DVD, but it kept freezing, skipping and other bugs. I decided maybe my AVI's weren't a suitable format, so I re-encoded a few with the codecs from divx.com. However, re-encoded ones wouldn't fast forward and lost audio tracking when I tried. I had to use a super low bitrate even to get this result. At normal bit rates the video just froze.

This player is going back to the store so fast...

I had the opportunity to try a Ritech Rj-1800DVX. It costs $99 online plus $12 shipping, but it played all my existing AVI's I threw at it although it did skip a lot on two of the AVI's.

Bill

5. docbill

docbill Member

When returning the KS5121-2, I swung by Walmart and found a YDP-530 (Yadoo!). My initial test show it probably at least as good as the Ritech. Of course it doesn't have Karaoke or the extra audio output. But what it has seems to be working. I'll know more after a night of watching it. One caveat so far, the remote sucks. The next button and the fast forward button are the same. You are suppose to hold down on the button until it fast forwards, but I seem to accidently switch to the next video one out of every three tries. I hope it is compatible with my universal remote...

Bill