Laptop used or new ?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by oziwombat, Nov 3, 2008.

1. oziwombat

oziwombat Regular member

Hi guys
    I want a laptop just for web browsing & I am tossing up wether to buy a new Dell base Insprion for $799.00 or a second hand Dell Latitude D800, 1.8Ghz, 512 Mb Ram, 30Gb HDD, DVD, Windows XP, Wireless @ $695.00
    What would be the best to buy ?

Oziwombat

2. SRH22

SRH22 Regular member

neither because dell sucks ass...you need to go with a nice gateway or HP system.

do you not realize that dell uses proprietary parts in all of there systems?

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a windows issue.

SRH22, dell laptops are no more proprietary then hp & gateway.

4. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Second hand laptops aren't all that bad. I have a nice acer I have been using for over a year now. It's a recertified one I got from tigerdirect.com. The price was about $200 less than an almost identical model brand new.

Buying one about $100 less is a toss up. I would suggest looking around for a bit more, as you may find another one more to your liking for maybe less.

5. oziwombat

oziwombat Regular member

I was thinking the Ex Gov used lappy would be better quality then the base Inspron ..
    Oziwombat

6. techoter

techoter Member

I just got a new Dell after my old Sony bit the dust. Could not recommend it more! I think the extra $100 is worth not risking the risk of a bum computer. Longevity is an issue with laptops.

7. oziwombat

oziwombat Regular member

Thanks for the input Techoter .
    I agree with you & for $100 diff I get the latest PC & software . I feel the ex gov PC's in Aust are way overpriced compared with new offerings .

Oziwombat

8. elliott

elliott Regular member

Personally I fix more Dells, Gateways & Emachines or help my customers get them fixed while in warranty. I cannot believe the number of returns defects and motherboard replacements that go on with these brands. I also have many issues with Sony, on the other hand I rarely get Toshiba or HP for anything other than virus removals or memory upgrades. You should search out the model you are considering in a good google search to find any known issues 9 times out of 10 the issue is already out there in the cyberworld and can save you buying a lemon. Alternately Pricegrabber.com is great for user reviews and price comparisons also is reccomended by Consumer Reports Magazine and other Consumer Watch groups as a good source for finding quality deals. Remember cheap is not always quality and Expensive is sometimes cheap, get my drift.

9. oziwombat

oziwombat Regular member

Many thanks for the input Elliott & Dell is not on the top of my list but the other two you mention are . I only want one for Internet surfing & don't want to pay extra for features I will never use .
    Cheers Ozi

10. techoter

techoter Member

Well, I've only had my Dell for a few months -- so who knows what will happen. I have heard good things about Toshiba, though I thought Dell's consumer protection/warranty was better. Am I wrong?

11. elliott

elliott Regular member

if you mean the paid for additional warranty I don't know but all the companies I deal with while things are under manufacturer warranty are about the same some try not to take items back but most HP, Dell, Toshiba, Acer have all sent me shipping labels and taken items back for repair without much problems. Some offer extended warranties that cost as much as a new laptop that cover damaged screens and accidents things outside what is described as normal use. I never purchase these plans nor do I reccomend them and if someone is going to get them never buy them from a store but directly from the manufacturer. Already I am feeling the pain of some buyers who got things at Circuit City as last year many CompUsa buyers got screwed on plans they had purchased as they went out of business.

12. elliott

elliott Regular member

13. SRH22

SRH22 Regular member

Um, excuse me? dells have been using proprietary parts in their computers for YEARS...Hello..RAMBUS ram? Proprietary power supplies? check your facts before posting "Moderator".

Dell just recently started using "standard" parts in their systems...do a little research next time before posting. All laptop makers have their own "proprietary" parts inside their systems...but mainly dells are known for their desktop "proprietary" parts. I.E. RAMbus RAM

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  14. ddp

SRH22, i do computers as a living, do yo? i've seen the same stuff in hp/compaqs & told my customers who have certain hp/compaqs & acers that i can't use ordinary motherboard to fix theirs if it goes bad because it is on the reverse side of the case.

15. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Ok like the others i dont like Dell as ome has mentioned the poor parts they use in their computers however as the other users have said it maybe the same for the others but i have to say this maybe the case cause all parts these days come ffrom china so hence we all use the same parts u have too look at your budget and what u get and the warranty level.

I just don't like dell thats a personal thing.

16. oziwombat

oziwombat Regular member

OK ddp
    As I said I want a base laptop just for web browsing maybe watch Dvd's on , what do you recommend .
    Ozi

17. techoter

techoter Member

Interesting -- thanks for sharing your perspective, obviously a lot more informed than mine.

18. ddp

oz, what brands are common in your area & what budget?

19. oziwombat

oziwombat Regular member

The Toshiba Satelite Notebook , Intel Celeron 575 2.0GHz CPU , 1 GB Ram [but prefer 2GB] 120GB H/D , W/Less Atheros b/g & Vista Premium . Price $742.00 with Toshiba cash back of $150.00 = $592.00
    My sister just brought one & it seems fine for want I want it to do . Or the base Dell Inspron as it has most of the above spec's @ $799.00 & can include 2 GB Ram on some promotions .
    Thanks for taking the time ddp .
    Cheers Ozi

20. ddp

a friend of mine has 2 toshiba laptops, his & hers that came with vista & 1 gid of ram. i ended up upgrading both to xp pro & 2 gigs of ram on his. was done because of software incompatibilities.