LAPTOPS

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Chazer, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Chazer

Chazer Member

Hi,
    Not sure where to post this. Please excuse my ignorance here. I have never owned a Laptop and wanted to know what does Wireless and Centrino mean. Are they the same thing. I believe Centrino is you can use someone else's signal,not sure if correct or not. Can somebody put me straight as I am looking to buy a Laptop for on the move and on holiday, so wanted to know which would be best.

Thank For Help.

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Centrino is a platform-marketing initiative from Intel. It covers a particular combination of mainboard chipset, CPU and wireless network interface in the design of a laptop personal computer. Intel claimed that systems equipped with these technologies should deliver better performance, longer battery life and broad wireless network interoperability.

3. Chazer

Chazer Member

Thanks for reply. With a wireless laptop do you have to have a router or cable connection to get on to the internet or is it like centrino that you can pick up a signal in the waves. I am not as you can see computer minded. Know bits and pieces but not the technical stuff.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

needs a wireless router to get on the net or can be wired to a router or modem but loose the mobility of the laptop.

5. Chazer

Chazer Member

OK Thanks

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem.