laser printer vs inkjet printer

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by SpankyyJ, May 15, 2008.

1. SpankyyJ

SpankyyJ Member

Hey everyone. I have currently a inkjet printer, and after about 30 or so colored prints, I have to go spend another 30 bucks on a cartridge. I have gone through about.. 4 or 5 color cartridges and 2 or so black cartridges in the past 2-3 months. I am looking into getting a laser printer, as I hear you get more prints for the $$$. My question to you guys who have the experience of it, is this.

If I get a brand new toner (i think thats right) for my laser printer, but dont use it for 2-3 months, will it still be good to use when I need it? I know inkjet kind of dries up after a while and can lower quality over time when not used, but I also heard that a laser printer HAS to get a new toner every 1-2 months or else the prints will suffer. I would like to get a laser printer, but I feel my printing needs are right under what would qualify enough for me to really benefit from one, yet a little too high to be good enough for a inkjet. So basically, what Im asking is, when I get a laser printer, and it isnt used for a cpl of months, will I still be able to print things off, even if the ink inside was never used, or would I have to re-purchase a new toner or whatever for it.

Also, how much does a refill for a laser printer cost? 100$?! I am not sure if I am seeing that correctly.

Also as I said with my inkjet I get 30 or so full page prints before the color starts to fade, roughly how many prints would I get with a laser before I had to replace it?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the toner is a powder not a liquid. also how long does a toner cartridge sits at the manufacturer's warehouse & at the office store before it is sold so don't worry about it. if doing color prints then need a color laser printer that has about 4 toner cartridges in it. per page laser is cheaper then inkjet.

3. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

I use an Okidata laser printer. Works well, but laser color toner is $$$$$$$. I've resorted to refilling the laser cartridges for $30 ea. (just google laser toner color refills) . Works OK but colors not as sharp as factory ( but good enough) Factory toner cartridges are $140 ea.

4. SpankyyJ

SpankyyJ Member

right, but say I print say 50 images one month, but dont print again for 4-5 months... did I just waste a lot of money due to inactive printing?

What I mean by that is, once the toners installed or what not, does it dissolve/get worse in quality over time? or can I technically go a year or so without printing and be still on the same amount as before. Thanks for the quick and detailed responses too everyone.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you might have to shake the toner cartridge carefully as the toner is a fine powder that might pack down. i am currently using a hp laser printer that i call "my freebie laser" which somebody thru out 2 years ago. it is still on the same cartrige as when i retrieved it from the pile of stuff along side of the road.

6. SpankyyJ

SpankyyJ Member

Anyone know where I can buy a decent cheap laser printer?