legal copyied DVDs?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by AXAD86, Sep 13, 2008.

1. AXAD86

AXAD86 Member

I am not taking sides i just want to know why is it illegal to do this even though you can get programs from virtually anywhere! abit of this info is what i have came across trying to find a legal way of copying DVDs. The DMCA 2 indicates that you cannot make a copy of a commercial DVD not even for personal use, you cannot give a copied DVD to anyone or watch copied DVD files on your computer, Because it is illegally to crack the CCS protection. There is software out there even freeware applications that will circumvent the copy-protection schemes used on commercial DVDs and enable you to make copies of store-bought DVDs. Doing so places you in violation of current intellectual property law. There was programs such as 321 Studios in 2004 that was legally used to copy protected DVDs, but recently all applications that copy protected DVDs violate copyright laws. So the only legal law i know is legal is copying movies before made before the copyright laws came out, although that law may have changed also. In the end my question is! why is it still possible to copy DVDs using applications (programs) from the internet or using your own DVD recorder to breach these laws? Also why is this possible to do? and why is there applications out there that allow you to do so?

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

ask these people

www.eff.com

3. AXAD86

AXAD86 Member

I have read a couple of articles on the site given and it was quite helpful. But i would now like to ask a question that i hope you or someone can help me with! Is there a way or application available to the public that allows you to copy protected DVDs without violating copyright laws?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no because it would be illegal. the laws depends on what country you live in. for example, say a movie disk was made in canada but you live in france then canadian laws do not apply to you.

5. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

What if you were French-Canadian?

Fair Use says you can make a copy to protect your investment, DMCA says it's illegal to circumvent copy protection. It's not illegal to possess the tools, it's what you do with them.

321 Studios wasn't located in a protected state/country like AnyDVD is (Antigua) which have no copy protection laws to dictate what they can and cannot produce for public consumption.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

loco, French-Canadian is still canadian.

7. AXAD86

AXAD86 Member

So basically! if i went got a movie from another country, then bought it back and copyied it then it would be legal?

8. LOCOENG

It all depends on the laws of the country that you live in. Do you live in the U.S.?

9. AXAD86

AXAD86 Member

I live in Australia.

10. LOCOENG

http://www.ladas.com/BULLETINS/2002/0202Bulletin/AustraliaDigitalCopyLaw.html

11. AXAD86

AXAD86 Member

I gather that there are a lot of people whom violate these laws on a regular basis! who's to stop them? and thanks for your info, got the jist of it! and it basically answers the questions i have been asking. Again thanks!