limited users on xp and software ?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by askyew, Jan 22, 2004.

1. askyew

askyew Regular member

Why is it with dvd decrypter and dvd shrink I have to sign on my kids, limited user accounts, then log on as administrator to install these programs on their accounts after I installed them on my account but nero is installed on all them at once?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  2. Xian

Xian Regular member

Some software installs itself for all users, others just under the current profile in XP, depending on how the installer was written. I have the same thing with my kids but haven't found anything yet I have not been able to get to work under all their profiles. They only have limited use so they can't install programs.

Sometimes it is only a matter of copying the icons to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users group of icons for them to be able to run a program. Other times I have had to grant change permissions for a registry entry to their accounts for a particular program, or give them permissions for certain files and directories. I have also copied registry keys from the account I have installed it on to another account's registry instead of reinstalling under their profile.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You can always Shift+right-click on the application and then do Run-As and use the other login so you dont have to siwtch back and forth.

4. askyew

askyew Regular member

Thanks you guys I will be sure to explore your suggestions with future software downloads.