Linksys BEFSR41 Router Problem

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by spdnet75, Jan 22, 2009.

1. spdnet75

spdnet75 Member

I'm having a strange problem that I don't exactly know how to classify and wondered if anyone might know what I am on about. I have a Linksys BEFSR41 Router connected up with a Motorola Surfboard SBV5220 modem and the problem that I've noticed is that I get the router's settings page when I type in my internet IP address. (Exactly as though I had typed the traditional 192.168.1.1)
    My question is: Is it possible to convince the router that my Internet IP address is not it's login address and how would I go about making that change?
    I have been using a server computer, setup to use Apache2 HTTP server software and I can no longer access the server index because my IP Address is linked to the router settings page.
    I'm still a bit new to the world of networking, so any responses will be much appreciated and I hope that I described the problem in a way that can be understood. Thank you.

2. silk42

silk42 Regular member

It sounds like you simply need to enable port forwarding on your router. Here's a good site to walk you through the steps.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/BEFSR41/Apache.htm

While I don't recommend it, you could also add the IP address for your apache server to the DMZ section in your router. This will basically forward all outside requests to that address. Obviously, you open yourself up to the potential of being compromised by viruses and other malware. However, it is a quick way to test it to make sure that it does work properly.

If you still can't access your apache server after following the steps from the website or by adding the IP as a DMZ, then it's possible that your ISP is blocking port 80. If that's the case, post back and we'll explain how you can change your port to a different number, such as port 8080.

3. spdnet75

spdnet75 Member

Thank you , silk42. It solved my immediate problem. I should be able to handle the rest. I appreciate the time you took to respond.