Logging into Windows XP Problem

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by uglydude, Aug 17, 2004.

1. uglydude

uglydude Member

I am exausted from looking around for a solution to this.

I have a laptop with Windows XP Home. And when it boots and takes me to the Welcome Screen, none of my usernames appear.

Then I hit ctrl-alt-del twice and I get the logging screen I type my administrator account password it says its not it.

I went ahead and bought a $200 program that permits you to change the administrator account using either a bootable floppy or bootable cdrom, and It cannot find the administrator account.

Normally I would just format the machine. But I have a very important work in there I don't have backup from it.

I have posted here before and I have received help before so I hope someone can help me with this huge problem.

I have tried accesing the laptop through safe mode and what not and I am still stuck.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

2. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

A bit of a problem. The best product for changing passwords is Lophtcrack - though I can't say I have tried it on XP.

Windows NT versions store the passwords in the SAM file.

You can try http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

The other thing you can do is reload your software - affectively dual booting your machine.

Finally, take the hard drive out and piggy back it on another machine - your choice.

Hope this helps

Phil