Lord of the Rings version information needed

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by alewis, Apr 8, 2009.

1. alewis

alewis Member

When I buy a dvd, I like to get the "best" version possible, in this case the 4 disk box set versions of each installment of the LOTR trilogy.

Had a quick gander to see it is avialble in BD yet, and came across a suprise... there are 3 versions of the DVD set (I thought two - the double disk and the quad disk boxsets); theatrical, exetended, and special edition.

So, whats the difference between the Extended Edition and the Special Edition, and is there a definitive source for this, with regards to UK versions?

I'm going to ask - I bought each 4disk boxset as it was released, so when did the SE versions come out?

Why do I need to know? Wellll the is a 12-disk set, and between Tesco.com and play.com it is not clear which version this is, or if there is a difference between the versions each site is selling; both claim 12 disks, one lists at RRP of £65uk, the other of £44uk, and box art looks different. And the contents on one only comes to 9 disks... confused!

Sure, I'm happy with the sets I have (although my TT is only a 2 disk set as I cant get the same 4 disk as the other two). BUT if there is a better set, I want it... and both sites have discounted the price down to £18....

It does annoy me though.. I can see the market for Theatrical release on DVD, and then a Special Edition/Extended/Directors cut version, but not multiple "non-theatrical" releases, which just serves to confuse the customer. And in this case, is losing a sale.

Anyway, if anyone can provide any info, be grateful... Cheers!

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I'm in NZ so that should be pretty close to what you'd get in the UK,not long after the final movie came out there was a release of the trilogy in a box set,i think there were three versions

STD 3 box set ?

Extended Edition box set - not sure if any extra discs were in there,this set was redone by jackson if i'm not mistaken

Special Extended DVD edition - 12 disc set,includes extended movie edition & the making of lotr alog with interviews & concept art
    2 x fellowship the movie extended version DVD9
    2 x making of with concept art & interviews

2 x the two towers movie extd
    2 x making of with concept art & interviews

2 x return of king extd
    2x making of with concept art & interviews

To find out the differences if any,check the handbook in each of your box sets it gives a detailed list of what they have done on the very first page then compare what's written on yours to what's in the store,the box set i have was redone by Jackson which should be the same as you're four box sets