Mac FTP problems

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by baggles, Mar 1, 2006.

1. baggles

baggles Member

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help with my ftp'ing mac to xbox that would be great...

I have followed the tutorial with no luck and am wondering if anyone has had the same problem...

The xbox / evoX is registering that there is a connection and I have set the IP to static with ftp enabled...

On my mac I have disabled the built-in firewall and have enabled file sharing.

I have also set the DNS (on the xbox) to match my mac's IP address...

I am using Transmit (and have tried both FTP & SFTP options) & always get a connection timed out error...

Thx alot!

2. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

hmmm, i dont know mac, and i really dont know mac progs.

heres all i can really tell you based on what i know.

In evox set your IP to

Everything else ing evox either needs to be blank or 0.0.0.0 , with it set on static.
    (you're connecting right from the back of your computer right? no router right?)

in the settings on your computers connection, the ip should be,

and your subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

In the FTP client the name and password is 'xbox' you probably want port 21. Set the ip addy to,

If that dont work than i dont know what the problem is.

post back.

-------------------update---------------

also, not all FTP client work with the xbox, so that may be the problem aswell.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  3. baggles

baggles Member

thanks for that - will give it a go and let u know the result!

4. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

On your Mac the IP should remain what it is now. No need to change any of the settings on your Mac for this connection as they are already working for you. The DNS's on the xbox don't need to match the Mac IP, leave as 0.0.0.0. Leave the default gateway blank, it's not needed for connection via crossover.
    The only other settings you need to change are FTP Yes, Setup Network Yes, DHCP No, subnet to 255.255.255.0 and change the IP to the IP you want to use. If you use 192.168.1.200 like Logik suggested, that'll be fine. After all the changes, reboot, and you should be good to go.

5. baggles

baggles Member

Hi, tried this last night with no luck. Any other suggestions?
    Maybe Transmit is the problem? Does anyone know if Fetch will do the job - also saw a xbox prog for the mac (xbox browser??) that might work - anyone tried this???

6. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

Well for what i can tell your settings are correct, so i would think its the ftp client your using, but i dont really know.

What is it you are trying to do? (maybe i can give you an alternative till you figure out what the problem is.)

7. baggles

baggles Member

Hi Logik, I am basically trying to transfer some xbox files to my mac through a crossover cable...
    not sure what the settings on my mac are supposed to be though (am using 10.39)
    will try a different FTP client and let you know the result...any additional help would be great...
    thx

8. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

I dont know what the settings are suppost to be on your mac, and i dont know what "10.39" is.... sorry hehe. I think that the problems are with your mac settings though, but aside what i've already said above i dont know.

If i get a chance ill look up how to network a mac and xbox.

9. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Are you using the Mac to post here and browse the web? If so, those settings are correct. Nothing to change, they work fine.
    The problem I think is the IP you are giving your xbox. Lets SAY for arguments sake that the IP on your Mac is 198.155.1.47. This number means nothing just an example. The first three numbers (198.155.1) are the network settings. The first 3 numbers in the IP you choose for the xbox needs to be exactly this. BUT the fourth number is the HOST, and that can be changed. In this example the host is 47, your Mac. Since we want to put the xbox on the network we put in the exact number from the Mac except the HOST is changed to a number you pick. Any number should work as long as it's not 0,255 or larger than 255. Let's say you decide that 48 is a good choice, so on the xbox the IP would now be entered in as 198.155.1.48.
    Once this is changed, reboot xbox and enjoy FTPing til the cows come home.

10. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

hehe, mac obviously does it a bit differntly. Well baggles, i hope that works for you.

:)