Magnets used for perpetual motion

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by vexture, Apr 28, 2008.

1. vexture

vexture Member

Ok, now this idea has kept me up at night. I do not know of this is possible or even tangible for that matter. Since I don't know of where else to post this, I thought I'd post it on here and see if anyone else has and ideas about it.

Here Goes...

Does anyone think it would be possible to take a turbine and spin it using magnets? The idea would be to take a normal turbine, and have magnetically charged "spokes" in it. Then an external magnet with an opposite charge would pull the "spokes" to a point where the oppositely charged magnet will be taken away and a magnet of the same charge will then be introduced to then push the "spokes" away (in the same direction of the pulling motion) and continue this spinning motion of the turbine to product power.There would be a number of these "spokes" to nake the turbine spin with speed.

Any thoughts?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a safety valve issue. that idea won't work because of earth's gravity.

3. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

No it will not work.
    1) friction of any sorts
    2) 1st law of thermodynamics
    3) 2nd law of thermodynamics

4. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

well you do know that they use magnets in high speed trains and at six flags the superman ride!

5. aldan

aldan Active member

you know there is one thing that really screws up any perpetual motion idea. friction.

6. ddp

rdmercer1, what moves them but electric motors. the magnets are for levitation.

7. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Every electric motor ever made has "magnets" inside; whether the motor is cylindrical or unwound into a strip like in a maglev railway, the power comes from the electric power grid. No magic, no perpetual motion hocus-pocus.

8. Desthin

Desthin Member

it would be possible to limit the friction to only air...if you use a suspended turbine

you could use a superconductor in a vacuum to allow the magnets to float...then you would just have to make them move...not a difficult feat

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  9. ddp

what about mechanical friction as in roller or ball bearings between moving parts?

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Less friction, but still friction. The closest thing you'll find capable to perpetual motion would be some kind of Bose-Einstein condensate, and in motion they are only insusceptible to friction because they literally cannot give up any more energy (the liquids are in their ground state and don't forget energy is quantized). However, they must be maintained at temperatures less than 3 Kelvin, a temperature so cold that it takes lasers to chill to that point, requiring larger amounts of energy that could ever be gained.

Perpetual motion is not possible under the current laws of physics in the known universe. It *might* be possible under the forces of a black hole, perhaps orbiting around the event horizon, but black holes do evaporate over time, so the motion isn't very "perpetual."

*edit*
    Perhaps in time we will gain access to alternate realities where perpetual motion *does* somehow work, but again, in this universe it violates physical properties that could very well lead to some kind of destruction of the fabric of space and time.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  11. ddp

hello aus.

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Guten Abend, ddp. I hope life finds you well. :)

13. ddp

i'm alright & you?

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

I knew an answer to the questions in this thread thanks to my major, so I'm pretty well at the moment. :)

15. ddp

very very good.