Media Player Classic v. 6.4.9.1

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by stibi, Mar 7, 2008.

1. stibi

stibi Regular member

One of the options in the "Play" menu of Media Player Classic is "Subtitles"; however, when I open in Media Player Classic a video file (whether MPEG, AVI, FLV etc) the word "Subtitles" and the arrow next to it remain in pale gray color, so I couldn't use that option.
    I have been told that problem does not exist in the 6.4.9.0 version of Media Player Classic, so I uninstalled the 6.4.9.1 version and downloaded and installed the 6.4.9.0 version. Notwithstanding, the above mentioned problem still exist. Can anybody adwise me how to solve it.
    Thanks in advance
    stibi

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'm a big fan of Media Player Classic, i update via the K-Lite Mega Code Pack regularly. However i don't like the 1000s of choices to tweak things in Media Player Classic, i just like it's ability to play most things; anyways, i just picked a random AVI to play and it auto loaded the subtitle (hence 'play subtitle' was greyed out).

In my case Media Player now moans about wanting to change the video renderer type blah blah blah. Easy enough to sort but i don't bother messing. I find it easier to just fire up VLC media player which seems more flexible generally. I put the subs back in the same directory and it greyed out 'play subtitle again'

3. arnstein

arnstein Member

I have used MPC for years. Yesterday, I tried out some DVD authoring progs (AVI2DVD, FilmMachine, one other open source prog, I forget which.) I uninstalled them all after tryout, but now MPC is showing some AVI files upside down and backwards. Any ideas about how to fix this? WMP 9 has no issue with the files nor does MPC have issues with mpg files or VObs.

I'm assuming it has something to do with codecs the tryout software installed alongside.) How do I get back to normal?

Thanks -- or bump me to wherever I need to be, thanks, Arnstein

4. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

MPC auto-detects subtitles. Rename the subtitle file to match the video’s name (keep respective extensions i.e. .avi & .srt). Place subs in same directory/folder as the video. Load video; MPC will now auto-detect the external subs.

Alternatively, if you don't want to rename files, you can start off by loading the video; Press Ctrl L and locate the external sub, and then open it. Subs should now be displayed. Once subs are displayed you should now be able to use the Subtitles Option under Play Menu. Likewise, you can right-click on the screen to get to the Subtitles option.

Edit: *Please note that when subs are auto-detected this option is faded.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008