mini DV camera to 3/4" tape deck

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by edvarga, Sep 24, 2003.

1. edvarga

edvarga Member

hello. i need some help with this: i have a friend bringing a consumer mini DV camera over so that i can transfer his 29.97 fps mini DV film to 3/4" video. (i'm editing the sound for his film but i'm using a very oly beige G3 Pro Tools 4 rig and it can't handle digital piture in the Pro Tools session so i have to sync Pro Tools to the 3/4" deck.) I'm not sure what camera he has and my video deck just says sony u-matic professional videocassette recorder BVU-800. i need to sync the deck to his camera so that i can later sync Pro Tools to the timecode transmitted by the deck. i also need the timecode burned into the picture. is this possible? and if so how?
    thanks for your help

2. venprods

venprods Member

I don't understand your question, but if you want tranfer the DV to 3/4" deck. You don't need the sync in, just composite out from the DV cam to composite in on the 3/4" deck. If the BVU-800 has timecode built in then you can use the monitor output to view video with TC burned in.

3. edvarga

edvarga Member

thanks for your reply. what i need is not a reference copy with a timecode window burned into the picture. i need a timecode acurate copy (on 3/4" tape from mini dv or mpeg 4) that can be locked to a pro tools audio session. is this possible? so far, i have not found anyway to do it. thanks.

4. venprods

venprods Member

First your source must have TC. If it used control track then just copy your source to the BVU-800, and it should write new TC with video on your new 3/4" tape. If your DV had TC, using DV player or DSR-60 (which I have) as the source to play my DV. Connect the TC out on the DSR-60 to the TC in on the BVU-800, setup TC to REGEN - EXT.

Can the pro tools control the external source ?

5. edvarga

edvarga Member

thank you so much for the info. i'll check it out with the filmmaker. my pro tools rig also has a digidesign Universal Sync Device (USD) so that the pro tools session can be locked to the timecode generated by the video deck. thanks again, that's very helpful info.