Mini DV to computer

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by NJ78vette, Dec 2, 2006.

1. NJ78vette

NJ78vette Member

I have a Panasonic DV camcorder. I like it. I have had no trouble burning DVD's until recently. I burned about 35 DVD's. Now I have a problem. I connect my fire-wire cable to my computer, HP Pavalion 754n. The computer gives me the chime, meaning that it recognizes my connection. However, when I start MY DVD and press the capture button, I have been getting a message that no video capture device is detected. I have been on the phone with HP for about 8 hours trying to fix it, but no luck. ANY HELP!!!!!!!!

2. econrad53

econrad53 Guest

Have you captured video from your Panasonic before?
    Have you downloaded all drivers?
    Checked with different firewire or usb, to see if it is the cable?

3. NJ78vette

NJ78vette Member

Thanks for your response. Answering in order:

1. I have been able to store and/or burn directly to DVD about 40 dvds.

2. I think I downloaded all drivers. Is there any way that I can confirm this.

3. I did try new usb and firewire cords, but nothing still worked.

HP suggested that I try to hook up the Panasonic to another computer to see if it works. Haven't tried that yet. Also, I did have to recover my system. I do not know if that would make a difference.

4. econrad53

econrad53 Guest

When you plug in the fire wire, and turn on your camcorder, does the little bubble pop ups stating found new hardware, or a confirmation tone?

I don't know how to check and see what drivers are installed, but you can always redownload that at panasonic if WindowsXp isn't finding new hardware.

Does your device manager show a firewire port?

5. NJ78vette

NJ78vette Member

I do receive a confirmation tone, but it is a stange tone. It's hard to explain, but it's not just a simple tone. It gives you like a quick three tone count.

Thanks for the drive info. I'll try the Panasonic website.

The device manager does show a firewire port.

6. econrad53

econrad53 Guest

Does the pop up asking you what option to pick come up?

I would guess it is probably a driver issue.

7. NJ78vette

NJ78vette Member

There is no Pop up. The only thing is the tone. like the computer is trying to recognize a video device being attached.

Right now, I'll try to update the drivers. I assume that I get the updates from the Panasonic website, correct??

Thanks for all of your help.

8. NJ78vette

NJ78vette Member

I tried to donwload the drivers offerd on the Panasonic website. What's interesting is that there is one for a USB connection, etc. However, it won't seem to download. When I have downloaded updated information before, especially from HP, you usually click download now, and the updated information is downloaded. On the panasonic website, I click the download button, it asks me to unzip the file, I do so, then nothing happens, nothing gets installed on the computer. Any suggestions.

9. econrad53

econrad53 Guest

Are you using the DV cord or the USB cord?

DV cord is for downloading video.
    USB should be for downloading pix off your card on the camcorder

Just wanted to verify that.

10. NJ78vette

NJ78vette Member

There is no driver download for the firewire. For my camcorder, the PV-DV402, the ovly downloads are for file converter and other editing stuff, and the only dirver download is the one I mentioned above.

11. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

There are no drivers for Firewire. It is plug 'n' play.
    What I would recommend is try the free capture utility WinDV to see if that captures OK. Also, once your camcorder is connected and turned on, also check in the Hardware Device Manager if you see a camcorder under imaging devices.

12. NJ78vette

NJ78vette Member

When I checked the device manager and imaging devices, the only item that appears, with an exclamation point is AV/C subunit.

13. NJ78vette

NJ78vette Member

I right clicked the AV/C unit and selected reinstall drivers. My DVD recorder showed up under images devices. I tired to capture video and guess what, IT WORKED. IT CAPTURED MY VIDEO for the first time in 8 months. I've tried everything, I was working with HP for 8-10 hours. Nothing worked, except what you told me. THANKS again for all of your help. If something else comes up, I'll sure contact you first.

By the way, one other issues maybe you can help me with. When I switch my computer to the sleep mode, it sleeps for about 2 minutes, then turns back on. Any suggestions.

Thanks again, Mark.

14. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Apparently something went wrong when you Firewire card got installed the first time. Good that it works OK now.

I don't know anything about PC's going to sleep, Mine never does ;-)

15. BombiCri

BombiCri Member

Hi to all,
    I have a Panasonic PV-GS150 camcorder and a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro laptop with firewire conection. I conected the camcorder to the laptop via a firewire cable.
    I tried to capture the video with MotionDV Studio LE, and Windows Moovie Maker but the quality is unacceptable. I already have a conection named 1394 Connection, in the right lower bar on the laptop I have the connection started up, enabled and "conected" but there are no packets sent and received.
    I have some .bmp samples of what I get but I do not know how to atach them.
    What I have done wrong?
    Please help me!

16. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

If you use Firewire, the quality should be exactly as it is on tape. When you use MovieMaker, make sure to use the correct settings:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/tutorials/moviemakermistakes.php
    Also, be aware that DV-AVI is not the ideal format to play on a PC, so the quality may be actually much better than it appears on your PC monitor.

17. BombiCri

BombiCri Member

Thanks TPFKAS for very fast answering.
    First of all I red all the available info from the forum, I know the correct setings for MovieMaker, my problem is that I get a kind of noise. It is dificult to explain. My email is cristian.bomboe@ingeniu.ro. Please send me your email and I shall send you some samples.

18. BombiCri

BombiCri Member

My correct email address is:

cristian.bomboe@ingenium.ro

19. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Don't put your email on the forum. This will generate spam and I think it is also against forum policy.
    Anyway, I have a pretty good idea what you see. Is it horizontal lines which are specifically visible during fast movements? This is an interlacing effect. As mentioned, DV-AVI is intended to view on TV, not on PC. If you want to watch it on PC you should convert it to a format like DivX or wmv.
    Nevertheless you should stick to DV-AVI while capturing and during editing. At the final step you convert to the type of format that you need based on your target platform.