MiniDv ---- My Computer!?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Magic725, May 28, 2005.

1. Magic725

Magic725 Guest

i need help!!! i have a JVC GR-D250 Digital Camcorder and i can't figure out how to take a video that i filmed and put it on my computer. i can't figure this out..am i doing something wrong? or do i need to download something. thanks for the help

2. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

Did you install the drivers from the drivers disk? And what did you try? You've gotta tell otherwise we won't know whether or not what you did was wrong.

3. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

4. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

Yeah, my JVC is a DV camera too. But if he's trying to connect using a USB port, he's gonna need to install the driver disk that I THINK came with the camcorder. Mines not the exact same model but I know if you're trying to stream the video using USB you've got to install the drivers. Anyway TPFKAS has a point, if your camcorder has Firewire funcuality then get a firewire cord and use that instead. Not the stock USB that comes with JVC camcorders.

5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Question to you Malcdogg:
    I have no experience with streaming video from DV camcorders over USB. My camera has USB but that is only used to transfer stills and videoclips stored on a memory card that I can put into the camera.
    I have been reading that other models apparently can transfer video from tape through USB, but then it was stated that it's "preview" quality. What about your JVC?

I checked out JVC's pages and found in the specs of the GR-DZ7US and I can imagine what they mean with "USB PC Link for Video CD Creation, Email Video Clips (MPEG-4 Streaming and MPEG-1 Video Capture)"
    Apparently the video is compressed to either MPEG-1 or MPEG-4 by the camera before it is streamed out through USB. But what the heck do they mean with "USB Video Class/USB 2.0 High-Speed Transfer". What format is being transfered in this case?

6. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

I have no idea, i'm no camera wiz. I just figured I'd help Magic out since I have a JVC GR-D93US, and I remembered that you have to install the drivers from the disk they give you for the USB to work. With USB 2.0 since its "high speed" I would assume it would capture normal DV in .avi format. Don't hold me to that though because like I said I really don't know. I used the USB on my camcorder once or twice, got a firewire cable, and never thought about the USB again until now. :)

7. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Forget it. I don't think it sends out DV-AVI through USB.
    Anybody out there who can confirm?
    I'd realy would like to know. Malcdogg, would you leik to help me and do a short test and see what your cam sends out over USB? Just capture a seocnd or so and analyze it with Gspot.

8. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

What's in it for me? LOL. j/k. I can see you want the info pretty bad so i'll get on it in a while.

9. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

You know what? Can't help you. I'm having f---ing issues capturing video through my USB now. Everything is installed right and should be working. Mabey it has something to do with SP2 I dont know. I'll post back when/if I figure out what the hell's going on.

10. Magic725

Magic725 Guest

thanks for the reply's guys but i figured it out later that night...thanks anyway

11. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Thanks for reporting, but it is always nice to let the forum know the solution. This may help other people as well...