miniDV to harddisk using Windows Movie Maker

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by dbarre14, Aug 4, 2007.

1. dbarre14

dbarre14 Member

Having difficulty getting entire tape to disk. I select AVC compliant device/Best Quality.. playback/Capture entire tape../
    This starts to capture tape every third or fourth try[??]. When it does start it usually captures less than 10 seconds before stopping.However on 6 attempts it has done more [2.40 mins, 4.50, 6.25, 12.03, 12.34, and 19.19 mins.] all with good quality video and audio. I am capturing via a pci firewire card; I am wondering why once it starts to record it doesn't go on to complete the tape? Reading your forums I think perhaps it may be that my computer isn't powerful enough. I have a AMD Sempron 2800+, 2GB memory, and in excess of 50Gb space on the hard drive.
    I have also tried Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 but with no better results. Any help and/or advice would be much appreciated.

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Get Windv and use that one. It is free and I have never had any problems or anyone else having problems. WMM is too buggy!

3. dbarre14

dbarre14 Member

Thanks for suggestion to use WinDV. It was easy, but only after I bought a new firewire card. It appears the old one had an intermittent fault which caused Movie Maker to drop out randomly at the end of a clip - I was never going to get through 50+ clips to the end!
    PS: I've also transferred using MS movie maker.
    dbarre14