miniDV to PC?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by dan_0z, Mar 24, 2004.

1. dan_0z

dan_0z Member

im buying a panasonic NV-DS30 but im still unsure on how to put wat i record onto my pc so i can put it on a dvd disc.
    i thought the DV cable would do that.. but it says in the manual its only for still photos.
    am i missing something.. or is this not the right camera for me?
    thanx guys

2. Talion

Talion Member

Hi Dan. I have a Sony mini DV camera. It came with a usb cord. If I use Windows Movie Maker, I can put the entire tape on my pc. Try that Dan. You can choose the quality you want when you save it on your computer. You can also select the scenes you want to use to make the DVD. I hope this helps!

3. whassup

whassup Regular member

You can use USB or the industry standard is Firewire (IEEE 1394), if your computer has the port for it.

4. BIGFOOT1

BIGFOOT1 Guest

firewire is supposed 2 be the fastest. you can buy a pci firewire card with the firewire plug for your camera.

5. BrownAcid

BrownAcid Guest

That Sony and USB advice is crap! You cannot *CANNOT* get high quality video over usb..the capture from a miniDV to a PC is "real time"..you can only capture in low quality in real time using USB, cuz USB cant take trough so mutch information on real time recording. Before you suggest..please try the firewire and realize what the term "high quality" means..

My suggestion dont buy a camcorder without firewire..or else you will be stucked with poor quality video..

6. malum

malum Regular member

All dv cameras have firewire don't they?
    Certainly Sonys ought to have, didn't they invent the iLink which is firewire?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  7. BrownAcid

BrownAcid Guest

There is allot of new cameras without a firewire..
    Yes, I think that Sony invented iLink.

8. malum

malum Regular member

They must have USB2 if they don't have firewire surely.
    There's not a lot of point in having a DV camera if you can't transfer the video to the PC (which you can't with USB1)

9. BrownAcid

BrownAcid Guest

USB 2.0 is not fast enough for that sort of transfer.

10. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Non-related: AFAIK, Firewire was invented by Apple and the iLink is simply Sony's marketing division's new name for Firewire that their products use.

But I find it hard to believe that there are DV cameras available, specially new, without a IEEE.1394 aka iLink aka Firewire connection.

11. BrownAcid

BrownAcid Guest

I saw a few sony and jvc cameras without firewire.

12. whassup

whassup Regular member

Must be old models. All the new ones I've looked at come with Firewire ports, standard.

Maybe the new DVD-R/RAM models? I haven't looked at those but it seems contradictory to have a Firewire output when you're recording to DVD anyways.

13. malum

malum Regular member

USB2 is easily fast enough to cope with the transfer

14. paparatzo

paparatzo Guest

more important that pipeline size, IEEE1394 has device control. USB2 has device control and runs the same speed* as IEEE1394.

everytime you say "Firewire" apple computers make $1--hence the fact USB was standard on new MBs and IEEE1394 only an option on the more expencive MBs.

*I have no USB2 devices, but from what im told they are the non-apple counterpart to IEEEEEEEEEEEE1394.

dan_oz: I have NVDS50, basicly same camera. it works fine for a 1ccd miniDV, how much is this DS30?, im assuming its second hand?, and going by your nic we are on the same currency. I paid 12hundred new(plaza digital, perth) 2ish years ago--the DS30 was 9hundred. I decided 300 was worth the next model up.

15. frentzen

frentzen Member

Malum

USB2 is easily fast enough to cope with the transfer

USB2 might be fast but for whatever reason it is not sufficient for real time video capture. I have tried on several machines to capture with USB2. It does not work. I had to purchase a firewire cable. Luckily my sound card has video capture capabilities, otherwise you need a capture card with firewire.

16. Ianto

Ianto Member

I'm trying to capture dv via firewire and I keep getting a dialogue whiich tells me the data tranfer rate of my 60 gb 7200 speed hd is not the required 4444 kb/sec. Anyone help with that? Ianto

17. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Ianto: Make sure your HDD is running at DMA mode and also run a defrag on the HDD.

18. jvwheel

jvwheel Member

Ianto - I had the same problem with my system even when burning CDs. If I defragged each time before capturing I was OK. I have discovered another solution as well - I set up a RAID and now I never encounter that problem. I always had the controller on the MB - just decided to use it now that HD are so cheap. JV