Monitor extension cable tuts?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by 1nsan3, Aug 12, 2009.

1. 1nsan3

1nsan3 Regular member

I have alot of monitors laying around... i was wondering if its possible to create an extension cable from 2 montor cables? plug from laptop to my tv ( has a monitor input on the tv ) if theres any tutorials out there or suggestions?

Yes i know the cable is cheap online, but i like to try new things.

THanks guys!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes it is possible to do it as i have done it in 1 of my previous jobs making cables for systems.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

the only problem with that is if you wire two monitor cables together, you will end up with a male to male cable, so its not really an extension cable. you will have to get a female to female adapter for one end so you will end up with a male to female extension cable.

4. ddp

the females are already on the laptop & tv so just need male to male ended cable.

5. 1nsan3

1nsan3 Regular member

the end on my laptop is a male, and the end on my lcd tv is a male also, monitors are female.. so connecting 2 monitor cables togather would make the connection. ive been searching around for any tut's but none around. i guess color to color huh?

6. ddp

laptop's are female not male as male end of cable from monitor plugs into that female. the male on the laptop is most likely a serial port which is not used nor can it be used for video. if connector has holes then it female & has pins then it is male. vga uses 15 pin connector with 3 rows of 5 pins. do you have multimeter as can't always use color to color? pins 1, 2 & 3 which are red, green & blue with 6, 7 & 8 are red ground, green ground & blue ground.

7. varnull

varnull Guest

you can buy "sex changer" connectors.. and that will solve all the problems.. go to your local pc shop or google them.. plenty of options without digging out the soldering kit.

8. 1nsan3

1nsan3 Regular member

ok will google it!

laptop is a new toshiba, it is NOT a serial port. its a video out. already used an external monitor with it. just gonna output from it to the lcd tv.

laptop has the holes,, sorry yes female lol. monitor has the pins ( male )

Thanks guys