my computer thinks both dvd drives are one drive

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by toolband, Jan 25, 2003.

1. toolband

toolband Guest

I just purchased a pioneer dvra05, i installed it into my vaio, removing the cd burner, when i hooked everything up and powered on the system, xp did the new hardware search and only recognised the older existing dvd drive (pioneer dvd-R_m DVV-117). No matter what type of media i put into either drive they would not read it.
    When I clicked on My Computer, it only showed one drive was attached. I right clicked on that drive and highlighted the eject button, both drives ejected at once.
    It seems to me that my computer believes that both drives are actually one drive. I have removed the ribbon cable from the old dvd drive and now the a05 is working fine (i haven't tried to burn anything yet though).
    I have even tried putting the drives in opposite slots hoping that might fix something. Has anybody come across this before and if so how did you solve it. I have a Sony Vaio, PCVRX360DS, 866mhz, 384 mbs, Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. turkf26

turkf26 Guest

the only thing i can say is that maybe your ide cable is screwed up. if that does not work, then you might have to contact microsoft about it. (do that only for the last straw)

3. toolband

toolband Guest

I figured it out, I didn't switch the master/slave jumper when I installed the new drive.
    Stupid Me.