My computer won't recognize my brothers camcorder !!!!

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by lavet, Aug 17, 2008.

1. lavet

lavet Guest

I have my brothers camcorder and he wants me to put the video onto a disc and his usb port won't work, i have tried putting the software in that i got with the camera and it says the drivers are downloaded, but why won't it recognize the camera when i plug it in ?

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

What model?

3. lavet

lavet Guest

The Model is DCR-HC21. I have tried everything and still nothing.

4. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

It has a firewire port and that is what you use to transfer video with. The USB is for photos, firewire for video.

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

To add to what PFloyd said, the firewire cable does not come with the video camera. You have to purchase one, and make sure that the ends match the firewire connections on your video camera and computer.

Usually the connection, on the video camera, is 4-pin, and the connection, on the computer, is 6-pin.

Don't buy a cheap firewire cable.

6. lavet

lavet Guest

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it. I will tell my brother to do that. Thanks !!!!

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You're welcome, and let us know how it works out.

8. Kalywonk

Kalywonk Member

I have a similar problem with my sony digital handycam, i bought firewire and a card that i put in a pci slot i turn the camera on insert it into my computer and.. nothing happens.. its not registering anything.. please help!

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Did you load the drivers for the firewire card? What model is your Sony? Is it a miniDV tape model? What program are you using to try to capture? Did you switch the Sony to Play mode?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  10. Kalywonk

Kalywonk Member

In the instruction manual for the firewire pci card, it says that my computer should automatically install the hardware and ready it for use, so no i havent installed any drivers, as XP comes with firewire drivers anyway. My camera model is a sony digital video camcorder, and it also calles its self handycam, it hasnt got anything more sophisticated than that, as for the software, i have been trying to use Monkeyjam and animator DV simple+ These are both stop motion animation creators that i use to create stop motion animations, but would like to make the process easyer by automatically imorting the images to a file, as i sidenote, i checked the software to see if myy computer was compatible by using my webcam, and booth peices of software work fine with that, despite a terrible image quality. (My fault for buying a £6 webcam)

11. Kalywonk

Kalywonk Member

Another thing to note is that this camera is 3 or 4 years old, and it does have a tape in it desite saying that it is digital, so its probaby a bit of a hybrid or something :-S

12. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

What is the model number of the Sony? My Sony is a digital tape camcorder, and tape is still the best for quality video.

Also, are you running the SP2 patch for XP? If so, it had problems with firewire capture, and there is a Microsoft fix for that.

13. Kalywonk

Kalywonk Member

Yes i am running sp2, ill try to find the fix for that... thats a problem.. my camcorder hasnt got any numbers or sodes on it at all.. excpt for DCR-TRV140E PAL It does have a tape yes,