My Computer won't recognize my dvd burner

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by chowder, Apr 27, 2003.

1. chowder

chowder Member

I just installed my Toshiba SD-R5002 dvd burner and my computer won't recognize it. I'm using Windows 98. The drive is receiving power and will open and close properly. The drive is not showing up in windows explorer. I've tried adding hardware through the control panel, but it did not detect the new hardware.

According to the Toshiba website, no driver is required. What should I do?

2. HK71

HK71 Member

Sell it and by an Sony DRU500AX..

3. chowder

chowder Member

Please help!

4. chowder

chowder Member

I figured out my problem. I bought the burner bare, so I had no directions or software.

The dvd burner was added to my computer, which already had a cd burner. Both the dvd burner and cd burner were set as the master drive. The computer could not recognize two master drives.

5. jsnkc28

jsnkc28 Member

Why would you buy a Sony, they are junk.

6. ajrider

ajrider Member

I have the same exact problem but even after i put the burner as the slave drive it still doesnt work. The weird thing is it does register it if i put it as the master drive and my dvd-rom as slave, but i dont want that so what do i have to do to make it the other way around?????

7. ajrider

ajrider Member

I have the same exact problem but even after i put the burner as the slave drive it still doesnt work. The weird thing is it does register it if i put it as the master drive and my dvd-rom as slave, but i dont want that so what do i have to do to make it the other way around?????

8. commwiz

commwiz Guest

Did you go into the bios (cmos setup) to set it to recognize the drive? Also, the new 80 wire IDE cables are picky about which connector goes to the master (the end one) and to the slave (the middle one). Also, I have the Sony and according to consensus it's the best dvd burner on the market (I agree). The only coasters I burned were pretty much my own fault, and it'll burn even the cheapest media.