My Internet/Networking issues.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by i_am_alex, Sep 7, 2007.

1. i_am_alex

i_am_alex Regular member

I've had this problem for a long time, this is the first time I actually decided to do something about it.

I have a wireless network, shared by 3 computers.

My problem is, my Internet is constantly disconnecting, I'll give you an example.

I twill be fine for hours on end
    It will disconnect
    Connect for 1 min
    Disconnect
    Do this about 50 times.
    Be fine for a few hours
    Keep disconnecting
    Stay disconnected.
    Then be fine

I can give further info if needed, but these are just the basic details. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  2. H0bbes

H0bbes Member

What type of service provider do you have?
    What specifically is disconnecting? Wireless, the actual ISP?

3. i_am_alex

i_am_alex Regular member

We use Telstra.
    If I click 'Repair', it says it's the 'DSL'

4. H0bbes

H0bbes Member

Here's a few suggestions, one or two of these is usually the problem when I do a service call to a customer's home. Some seem ridiculously simple, but it happens.
    I'm assuming you have a wireless router between the PCs and the Telstra box. It could be a faulty phone line, Ethernet cable or a bad router/DSL box. I've even had a customer with a failing circuit board servicing his account, out in the switchbox in the middle of the neighborhood.

If all those are eliminated, try this for a more stable connection [again, this is me assuming you have a router AND dsl modem]. Most dsl modems have an option called "bridge Ethernet", in which the modem allows the router to pass through and control your connection directly. You will need to enter your isp login info into the router instead of the modem, save it, then power cycle both.

Not sure if the problem you have will be fixed this way but I hope it helps :)

5. i_am_alex

i_am_alex Regular member

It's a Router + Modem.

If it was a faulty phone line, wouldn't that mean it would stop my phone too?

My phone works fine 24/7

6. gamename

gamename Regular member

i had the same problem when i set my linksys security (wireless). i tried with mcafee,windows and linksys.i tried wep,wpa and wpa2. the only way it runs smooth and for a long time is without security. im not sure why, maybe its just an old router. the end result was i had to backup files on all 4 of my pcs and reformat. i havent had a problem since. i always make sure i shut down my pc when not in use.