Need feedbacks of Sony TRV series camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by onestop, Mar 12, 2003.

1. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello, Actually I have intention of buying a Sony DCR-TRV50E but I was told that it is discontinued which I'm very curious why? To what I know this is a pretty recent model (1 year the most) and just don't understand why is it discontinued when the DCR-PC120E (3 years old) is still on going. Anyway, I've decided to wait for the launch of a new model DCR-TRV70 sometime in March. I would really appreciate if someone could give me some genuine feedback.

2. poodull

poodull Member

i have the trv50 (ntsc model). dont bother. it is discontinued to be replaced by the trv80 next month.

here's why: its got bluetooth. but you can use it with anything but a sony modem or a cell phone with bluetooth (know of many?). once you get that unit, you have to subscribe to So.Net or somecrappy isp they set up specifically for uploading pics. 9 bucks a month basic fee or something.

i bought a bluetooth dongle to try to link to my camcorder's memory stick. thought it would be neat to download pics from my camera across the room. no go. bluetooth doesnt connect that way. infact, it doesnt connect ANY way besides the dialup settings.

i had the trv30. great camera. same CCD and same megapixel (1.5). MUCH better dark light vision. the 50 simply looks like crap if its not pointed at the sun in the sahara.

touch screen pad: crapola. instead of having the buttons on the side of the camera, you now have to stalk through the damn onscreen menus while touching the screen. how often are your hands clean enough for that? how often do you think youll go reaching for that little stylus located on your right side (with your free left hand)

lastly, take a nightshot picture of people and you disect them with 20 or so 2 inch laserbeams. it uses some laser grid pattern to judge distance for the flash.. which sprays your targets with wonderful red laser pointer-like mesh. it may be harmless, but i dont want that crap flashed in my eyes.

aside from the flash laser of death problem, sony says the trv80 will link bluetooth to the memorystick and stream video as well. who knows what proprietary crap they bind it with.

sony sucks. unfortunatly, their cameras are much better than the rest overall.

dull

3. onestop

onestop Regular member

Thanks Pal, that is what I've suspected as well. Hey, I saw the TRV80 with 2.0 mega pixel and would you mind checking out the TRV70 as well? http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...I=?CatalogCategoryID=9QQKC0.NsUgAAADz4dwTluG2 Honestly, I do not need the bluetooth thing and like you said how many of this bluetooth mobiles available in the market. Do you think that I should wait for the launch of TRV70 before deciding to buy?