Need help choosing the right DivX/etc player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by EvilJezus, Oct 13, 2006.

1. EvilJezus

EvilJezus Member

I've decided to buy a DVD player that plays DivX and similar or related formats just in case. But there are so many websites, brands, DVD players, technical details and conflicting product reviews that I haven't been able to make a decision. Here's some info:

TV: Standard. It's nothing special so I don't need a super expensive DVD player to go along with it.

Budget: Up to $150 USD.

Will be used for: Playing .avi/DivX.

What's important: Reliability and longetivity. Perfect picture, perfect sound. Minimal bad reviews. Not prone to needing firmware updates or troubleshooters. A good remote.

What isn't important: Bells and whistles.

Anyone buy their DivX player because of reasons like mine? Got any suggestions?

2. mikernite

mikernite Member

I have the phillips dvp 5140 that is discussed in a thread in this forum. Got it a Wal-Mat for $49 and it has played all the avi's I have thrown in it, just burn them as data cd's or dvd's. The remote seems to lag a bit between button push and the player doing what you are telling it to but it isn't a big deal to me. Check out the thread devoted to this DIVX dvd player, I think it will provide you with all the info you are looking for.

3. EvilJezus

EvilJezus Member

Thank you. Seems like Philips are popular. Does yours ever have out of sync audio?

4. mikernite

mikernite Member

It has been awhile since you asked but I have had no issues with out of sync audio on the avi's I have watch, hope that helps.