Networking computers

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by peepers, Aug 23, 2007.

1. peepers

peepers Member

Hi guys,
    If I plug a computer into the usb port of another, will it act as a removable drive?
    Thanks

2. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Afraid not. You can get some special male to male usb cables that network two computers together using a bridge chip though. Theres a risk of burning your usb ports computers or even their power supplies if you use a standard usb cable without some sort of chip.

3. peepers

peepers Member

Ok, thanks for the reply.
    What about an ethernet crossover cable?
    Will that allow me to share information between computers?
    I know there are hubs, routers and switches, but they only allow me to share connections and monitors. I'd like to have 2 computers actually talking to each other.
    Thanks again.

4. Obike

Obike Member

If you have 2 pc a crossover cable will do the job if you have more you will need a hub and normal rj45 network cable.

Hubs, routers and switches will allow you to share information from machine to machine aswell as share an internet connection. However each machine needs to be told what to share and what to look for. This is the same for usin a crossover cable.

5. peepers

peepers Member

I have just 2.
    I've tried using a hub and networking them together but I'm lacking the network card in my older computer.
    How do I hook them up using a crossover cable? I only have one ethernet port for each computer, which of course I need for the cable connection.

Thanks

6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Set up the network wizard in control panel and make sure you have the same name of both computers for the workgroup.

I.E.

Computer 1 Workgroup-aD
    Computer 2 Workgroup-aD

If they are different then they won't talk to each other.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  7. peepers

peepers Member

First off, thanks for the help so far.
    I have a couple more questions. I may be making this harder than it has to be but I'm still confused.
    Okay, so I'll still need my hub because if I just hook them straight in I'll have no ethernet port left for internet connection.
    How is this accomplished? Do I hook up the main computer to the first port in the hub and then run a crossover cable from the hub to the secondary system? Vise versa? Or do both cables have to be crossover?

Thanks again guys

8. peepers

peepers Member

Sorry, one more quick one: Will this give me complete access to both computers, such as burners? Or will I only be able to place things in the shared folder?
    Okay that was two.

Thanks