New dvd player or wait until blue-ray and hd-dvd?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by D1v1d3d, Jan 22, 2006.

1. D1v1d3d

D1v1d3d Member

Just wanted to get a few opinions on weather i should invest in a new upscaling dvd player to go with my new tv or wait until i see what happens with the new formats that are going to be coming out. First of all my Toshiba sd-2109 is still kicking. I know it is old but it does its job. My new tv has hdmi on it and i am debating whether or not to upgrade my dvd player or wait. Any thoughts would be appreciated. TIA.

2. gear79

gear79 Guest

i have the LG LDA-511 and have not looked back ever since...

best buy sells it for about 150 or less, sometimes it has rebates..
    the toshiba, even the newer ones i read have issues...

just stay away from the older LG LDVB-418... i had that one and has lip sync issues...was a firmware problem, but i never got a tru fix for it, even from LG direct...

3. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

how is the picture and sound quality with your lg from best buy.

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

the picture is amazing. on my 57" w/s hitachi, you can see fine details as hairs on the head..
    sound, well, thanks to my yammy rx-v1500, the sounds come from that... cranking out 840 watts of tru power, you cant beat it.. well, you can, but then it costs more $$$.

5. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I have both the 418 and the 511, I got a firmware update from LG that fixed the 418's lip sync issue, thing about the 511 (as mentioned in other threads here) is that it is a slot loader and has problems with "flipper" discs and some printable blanks, but for xvid/divx playback it's actually better than the 418 in the area of overscanning and cutting off subtitles (I'm an anime addict). The 418 is a tray loader and may be a little harder to find than the 511. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  6. zest

zest Member

i had the lg 531 it looked great on my 32inch sony, but recently i upgraded to a 60inch hitachi and what a disaster, at first i thought it was the tv, someone on another forum directed me to the firmware update for the lg 531 and it helped but only a little. i was about to return the tv when i decided to try a different dvd player and return that if the picture didnt improve, well i picked up the samsung hd-850 and the picture is fantastic i am now very happy with the tv and the dvd player, the lg 531 will be very quickly finding its way onto ebay, i am using the hdmi cable that came with the samsung and have it set to 1080i , picture looks great a definite keeper

7. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Been awhile since I've posted last, several months actually, so a hearty shout-out to everyone! ^^

Got a question that has been burning in my brain and this is the closest thread relating to it so I'll stick this in here as it goes along with this topic.

I have a Zenith 52" DLP with dual HDMI inputs on the back. I have a Hughes HR10-250 hooked to one port and the other is empty. I am interested in getting a upconverting DVD standalone player, but here is my questions. Very simply put, can these newer 1080i upscaling DVD players play back dual-layer +- R type media? I went to Best Buy today and the guy told me no, that since HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are close on the horizon, that there are no standalone DVD players that will read dual-layer discs, and that the dual-layer burners are strictly for PC's.

Which pisses me off in a way because I also recently got an NEC ND-3550A Dual-layer burner, for the explicit reason of being able to rip and burn my backups without compressing them, and thereby not losing any picture quality or having pixelation issues on my DLP due to the movie being compressed.

So what I want to know is, was the Best Buy salesman pulling my chain, or was he telling me the truth, that the newer DVD players are in fact not able to read dual-layer? (seems odd to me since that is what most retail DVD movies are on anyway, 8.5gb)

If anyone has a standalone upscaling DVD player, let me know if yours can read dual-layer media (NOT retail movies but discs that have been burned), I would be interested to find out any details you can offer. Thxs much! ^^ PM me or just reply to this thread. ^^

8. D1v1d3d

D1v1d3d Member

Well I am no expert either, but I think he was just pulling your leg. I have decided to wait and see what happens with this blue ray and hd-dvd thing plays out. But to answer your question, I would think that those new upscaling dvd players would have no problem reading dual layer dvd's. If you are going to use dvd+r's I would suggest setting it to dvd-rom. But hopefully someone here will verify that it will work, because i do not have an upscaling dvd player. I cant see why it would not work.

9. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I have 3 different upscaleing dvd players and they all tend to choke on homemade dl dvds, I have a Sony that'll play anything I throw at it, I belive it's a brand issue-not a dl issue. I also belive that a Sony upscaleing player will play the dl's. I was reading that some players have issues playing dl copies ripped in the iso mode with either DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter which is all I use.

10. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Well so far so good, I successfully backed up Walk The Line onto a Verbatim (MKM) dual-layer, popped it in my PS2 and it worked fine. no hang up's or anything. I'm still leery about dropping that many clams on a standalone and it not work though. I'll have to see what Best Buy's return policy is on Electronics. Thxs for the replys! ^^

11. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

Best buys return policy is 30 days with receipt. They require you to keep the box cables and manual. They will try to stick you with a restocking fee but you can talk your way out of that. Circuit City doesnt have a restocking fee for starters.

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

That's not true at all. On most products at Best Buy, including DVD players, there is no restocking fee. There are only restocking fees on Camcorders and GPS equipment.

Ced

13. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Wanna bet? I work for Best Buy and they'll try to screw you with a restocking fee on anything they think they can get away with!!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  14. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Is there any way to talk them out of it?

15. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

You can try-good luck!

16. mickK

mickK Regular member

who cares DVD players are cheap as dirt anyway. when these new drives come out they will be like 1500 bucks anyway.