new to camcorders, how do I get the video to the computer?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by fasfrank, Apr 11, 2004.

1. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I just bought a JVC DVL 720U. I want to take the DV from the thing and put it on the HD so I can author it with DVD Lab. The camera came with a USB cable but no 4/6 pin firewire cable, JVC sells these as an option.

So I tried using the USB cable and that sure does not seem to do anything at all, as far as the video goes. It did a "found new hardware" install when I flipped the mode switch to "memory" on the camcorder, so I can do still pictures from the memory chip. But I don't care about the still pictures, I want the video.

I did a bit of searching and it seems like other people can get it to transfer video with the firewire, Is that all you do? Just plug the thing in and use the capture feature of some program? One of my Nero programs has a capture feature, will that work with the firewire? It doesn't do anything with the USB connection.

I am clueless and just need some assurance this thing is going to work. Once I get the video on the computer, I can take things from there.

Cheers,
    Frank

2. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

fasfrank :
    Now i have heard some people say they can do it with usb but, on my canon usb will only handle the still photos that i have taken not video. Of course it does not say this any where in the book but online they say video can only be done with Firewire, and like you said its a OPTION WTF! How about giving us the damn thing probilly cost them $1.00!

3. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Fastfrank,

I messed around with a friends camera and his needed video software to make it work. He used a USB port. I think you can use either though depending on if your system has it. All he did was load up his video editing software and then clicked aquire video.His camera started playing back the DV tape on his LCD screen as it was downloading to the computer.He was using his USB cable so yours most likely will do the same. try switching the camera to movie mode while plugged into your pc or something..

Matt

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thanks guys,

I think my camera is like six.6.sixes. I can do the stills through the USB. I tried a couple different programs that have a "capture video" feature but it dosen't do anything at all when I turn the camera on. The program (Nero) would just tell me that no device is connected.

Anyhow I'm going to go get a firewire and try that. I'm just suffering buyer's remorse cause I paid so much for the thing. It plays pretty well through my TV, but I must be able to use it with the computer. I bought the thing so I could have some input for my DVD authoring programs.
    I've got DVD Lab and it really doesn't work that well with files from ripped DVDs. I really like the authoring process, but before I spend 500+ dollars on a program, I need to get good with the 100 dollar one.

Thanks again for your input my friends,
    Frank

5. BrownAcid

BrownAcid Guest

Capture only with firewire..usb is f.u.
    Dont look around for complicated video capturing programs..the best for begginers you have on windows XP ..Windows Movie Maker.
    And if you dont have a firewire on your cam..buy a capture card..and capture with that s-video in/out.