New user asking for expert opinion

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by JeroenT, May 3, 2002.

1. JeroenT

JeroenT Guest

I'm very eager to buy a Dvd-writer and i was wondering if there are some people around that can give me some advise. The writers I've seen so far, are the;
    - Philips RW208 12x10x32
    - HP DVD200i DVD+RW recorder
    - Sony DRU120A DVD+RW recorder
    - Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-A03 8x4x24
    Does anybody have experience with one of these writers, please tell me everything.

2. pogle

pogle Guest

Have the same question - Seems that the HP200i solves a lot of issues (theoretically)- I have a lot of old VHS content I want to move to DVD. Given the speed and (promised) compatibility of the 200i, does anyone have any comments on it over the A04? Please advise... thx

3. tlaslie

tlaslie Member

It looks like this thread is kind of old, but i fyou are still wondering. I have a HP DVD200i, and I haven't had problems with it. I updated to firmware 1.27 immediately aftert purchasing it, and I love this drive. I've been using Memorex DVD+R media, and it has worked in every DVD player I've attempted to play it in.

4. psxpc

psxpc Guest

I don write englis very well, so excuse my errors...
    I have a PIONEER A04, and I haven't had any problems with it. I updated to firmware 1.20. and I've been using any DVD-R/RW media y find (Pioneer, Traxdata and others), I have make a lot of backups of PSX2 DVD´s and a few movies and data, and I never have any problem.
    for me It´s the DVR for excelense........

5. cyan

cyan Member

Hi Psxpc,
    (sorry for my english too^^;)

I just bought a DVDRW pionner 104 firmware 2.0
    I use primoDVD2.0.767
    I tried any burning speed, but always got an error :
    error -10 at sector (always changing) command 2A Sense:04 ASC:08 ASCQ:01

this error is not into the primoDVD error helper.

I try to backup my wipeout fusion PS2 DVD.
    I have a .gi to burn to, so I need to use primo.
    thanks for any help you could give to me.

maybe caused by temporary space needed?
    primo help say it need 700Mb free disk space to record a 650Mb CD, so if I want to record a DVD I need big amount of free space?
    but the sector error is never at the same place on the disc (I used only test burning)

I hope 104 do the same as A04 ^_^;

Last edited: Aug 26, 2002
  6. psxpc

psxpc Guest

Hi cyan

The Pioneer A04 and the 104 are the same DVD-R. The lastest firmwarwe released by Pioneer for this DVD-R is the 1.2 (I see an 1.3 but I don´t know if is from Pioneer or not and I don´t instaled)

I never have any error copying Ps2 DVD´s with primoDVD 2.0.749.

I first make an image of the DVD with a Pioneer DVD A06S (16x lector) to HDD and then burn the image to the A04.

The speed is determinated by the media you are using, some DVD-R support 1x and others 2x. My primo is configured for max speed.

The error, like you say, maybe caused by HDD space. To copy a DVD, I think you need at least 5 GB free. I have more than 100.
    Close any other programs while using primo DVD.
    And important thing is set the Auto Insert Notification to OFF in the PrassiPrimoDVD.

DVD Decripter is a good software too. I only used to copy DVDmovies but I think it work with Ps2 too.

Other posible problem is that the .gi is corrupted. Try to do it again.

I hope you solve the problem, and led me know.......

psxpc
    España

7. cyan

cyan Member

thanks for quick answer
    I will got a new 80Go hdd soon, so I could try if it's disk space (i'm preatty sure, I have only 900Mo free now to burn 3Go .gi)
    I will tell you later if it work.

thanks again

Cyan
    France

8. afogh

afogh Guest

I recommend the Pioneer -rw over the Ricoh +rw drives I've played with thus far. Notice that most other brands of +rw drives are just rebranded RICOH.

9. cyan

cyan Member

Hi,

I now have my new HDD, but I think it was because I had not a Udma cable, and it work only on the primary IDE controler of the Abit KG7 (Athlon Xp) mother board (Bios 10/22/2001 rev.5W)

now it is burning, but the same iso burned twice, they are working on PC, but only one is booting on PS2.
    each have no error, all LBA and files is the same as the original one. Primo say its job finished succesfully.
    Can it be due to DVD-R media?
    I am using the DVD-R send by Lik-sang (all white nonameDVD 4.7Gb)
    is a DVD-R manufacturer better than another?
    I read somewhere else Verbatim not good at dvdr.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2002