Newbie here, totally lost

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Noreen, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Noreen

Noreen Guest

I have a Sony DCR DVD 201 and I purchased an IEEE1394 card, where on the camera do I hook this up? I can't find how to connect from my camera to my notebook.

Thanks a million in advance for any help

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

3. Noreen

Noreen Guest

Thanks very much for your repsonse Frank, I appreciate it.

I have another question though, if there's no firewire port, does that mean I'm unable to hook my camera up to my PC?

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Reading down through the article:

"Through its USB port, the Sony DCR-DVD201 can feed directly into a computer, which allows for playback of footage and stills with the included ImageMixer software. Additionally, the Sony DVD201 can import video to the computer without finalizing the disc itself; in order to play DVD-R/RW on conventional players, the discs must be finalized on the camcorder. Unfortunately, Sony’s included software follows suit with offerings from other DVD camcorder manufacturers; its options are few and, relative to the camcorder’s convenience, hard to access. Editing is very basic, almost comparable to on-camera editing, and exporting to other file formats is cumbersome."

The USB port is located here:
    "Located on the right side, above the mode dial, is the DC-in. The USB port is located just below and slightly to the left of the viewfinder. The remote jack is located to the right of the viewfinder, and a mic input jack and an audio/video input/output rest on the front of the camcorder, under a protective panel. Also, there is an intelligent accessory shoe located on top of the machine, an improvement on the Sony DVD101’s cold shoe."

So, you can't use a firewire connection and the supplied software is not all that great.

As long as you can capture the video in some form you can edit it with a variety of programs.

I actually looked at one of these cameras but ended up getting a mini DV. I'm wondering why you just couldn't put the camera DVD in your computer drive.

I'd try it. From what I'm reading the camera produces DVD-Video compliant discs that can play in a DVD player. Those kind of files can be edited. Depending on your editing software some conversion may be in order though.