newbie, questions about backing up games

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by adamryer, Jun 16, 2004.

1. adamryer

adamryer Guest

im new to backing up games, i was wondering about backing up xbox games. What type of disks are xbox games on? can you make a straight 1 to 1 copy, and if not what do you have to do in order to make a playable backup? im planning on getting a chip and a bigger hard drive so if i have the hard drive do i need to use my computer to back up my games? if not then how do i get the games onto the new hard drive? please help me out it will be greatly appreciated! :)

2. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

ARGHHHHHHH
    !!! BANGS HEAD!!!
    opps er sorry
    ahem cough cough
    xbox games are dvd, though VERY few will fit on a cd (VERY few -rollercoaster tycoon is one)
    you cant make 1 on 1 copies on a pc, no way no how, from a retail game
    you can mod it either with a chip, or tsop (onboard bios flash, I dont recommend it for newbies)
    or there are a few software exploits for some games.
    basically, you need to get it modded, get a "hacked" bios ( search the web for xbins using mirc, thats bout all I can say)
    then the easiest way is with an autoinstaller, theres a few good ones, xaviers (oldie but still good) slayers, littlejonnys, and (pardon my french) firefuckers (apparantly a very good one though I havent tried it)
    also check up on what version xbox you have,(1.0 to 1.6) and what dvd drive you have, (not all xbox play the same media etc, although I have success on 3 drives using sony OEM dvd-r, ritek again are good)
    the stuff is out there, on this forum and sites like xbox-scene.com, x-b-o-x.com etc
    as they say on xfiles,
    .......the truth is out there!!

btw most, if not all, auto installers have a game installer (ie put in your game, load it to your hdd)
    if you mod your hdd (ie get a bigger one, cos if youre installing xbox games, you will need to) ebay has good prices, Ive got 4 from ebay, av price $40 for a 80gb (5400rpm)
    again an auto installer will sort out a new hard drive for you, its real easy, take outthe retail one, put in your new one, install the apps and dash etc (and a microsoft dash too if you want one)
    yes you need to ftp to your pc to do a backup, evox etc arent JUST dashboards, theyre also ftp clients for your xbox, to allow it to ftp to a pc.
    Use flash fxp, and a crossover cable (unless you have a router etc, then just a normal cat5 etc will do)
    of course you must have a network card in your pc.
    errrm, ok thats bout it
    have fun
    Im gunna get a beer

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]PC SPEC: XP 3000+ (overclocked) asus 2x fsb 400, 768mb ddr 2700, ati pro 128mb, pioneer a106 w/ hacked firmware
    XBOX SPEC: ver.1.2 with Xecuter 2.3-4983 bios,80gb hdd,Samsung sdg605,evox,xbmc,xbmp,dvdxr,xprogear,
    mame0x w/ 1,500 roms, kawax w/ 100 roms[/small]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  3. adamryer

adamryer Guest

ok i might sound really dumb, but let me get this straight, if i get a new hard drive i need to download a dashboard and an autoinstaller from the net,burn it onto a dvd and put it in my xbox and it will auto install on my xbox? Then if i want to backup games i just put them into my pc dvd drive, link my pc to my xbox via ethernet/router, and i will be able to put the games onto the harddrive? do i need any software for my pc?exactly how does this work? and do i need a modchip??

4. Mbrock

Mbrock Member

Please do a search before posting anymore questions. The questions you are asking show you have done no research

5. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

hmm mbrock is right im fraid
    you do need to do a bit of research
    start by sitting back and thinking "can I solder or not?"
    if the answer is no, get a no solder chip, example of a good place is system-modz, if you CAN solder gt a solder chip (they are cheaper)
    xecuter2.3 and xbit are popular chips, the easiest way for newbies to flash a bios (you will have to do this) is y getting a chip with the cromwell bios already on, such as the xecuter 2.3 lite (the lite plus is the version that you dont have to solder)
    you simply put a bios on a disc, then stick the disc in and let it flash it
    check on things in this order
    1/ xbox modchips and install tutorials
    2/ xbox modchip bios flashing
    3/ making a bios disc (if you have a chip with the cromwell bios)
    4/ where to get stuff from such as auto installers, applications etc(do a search for xbins on irc on google, youll find it) and what the stuff does, ie read up on an app etc, find out what it does, there are a lot, ie media players, tools etc
    5/ how to install bigger xbox hdd
    6/ how to create an xbox iso
    7/ how to network connect xbox to pc
    if you look up that stuff, youll learn other things as you go, but do it a step at a time, read the tutorials on xbox-scene and other good places

make sure you read the stuff right, and youll be fine
    but yeppers, do yer research dude!

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]PC SPEC: XP 3000+ (overclocked) asus 2x fsb 400, 768mb ddr 2700, ati pro 128mb, pioneer a106 w/ hacked firmware
    XBOX SPEC: ver.1.2 with Xecuter 2.3-4983 bios,80gb hdd,Samsung sdg605,evox,xbmc,xbmp,dvdxr,xprogear,
    mame0x w/ 1,500 roms, kawax w/ 100 roms[/small]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  6. adamryer

adamryer Guest

thanks for the help i checked out xbox scene and things are looking alot better! I have one more simple ? tho, what brand of hard drive is best for an xbox, is maxtor good? Im planning on getting hd loader for my ps2 and found out you can put a standard maxtor pc HD into a ps2, would that be good for an xbox too?

7. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

you can use any ide hdd. most go with either maxtor or seagate because that is what is used as a retail drive for the box, but you can use any brand as long it is ide. if you can find a 5400 rpm drive that is a bonus because it they run cooler. at the same time, my 7200 drive runs just fine.