no picture on TRV 38, common problem

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Modify_in, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Modify_in

Modify_in Member

My camera is only 15 months old and worked perfectly fine since I have had it. Yesterday, I tried using it, but only get a black screen (both lcd and viewfinder) when in camera mode. When I press the record button, the screen is still black. Then when I playback what I just recorded in vcr mode, the screen is still black but the sound from when I recorded works. Otherwise, I can see and use all the touch screen functions on the lcd (the tape minutes, battery life, fn button and camera mode), and I can play back a previous tape and see the picture in vcr mode. I guess my question is, Can I fix it? How can I fix it? Is it a setting problem? Everything works fine EXCEPT I get a black screen (no picture) on the lcd and viewfinder when in camera mode. Please help!

And yes, the cap is off, lol...

After further researching it seems to be a problem w/ most of this years models DCR-HC20 / DCR-HC30 GARBAGE DCR-HC65 / DCR-HC85 CHEAPJUNK
    It appears the first to use the same 680k CCD. A likely culprit for this problem.

I called Sony, and they said try to reset it, if it doesn't work, send $269, and they will fix it. I asked what could have caused it, I take very good care of my camera. The Sony rep, said don't worry about it, it's probably not your fault, its Sony. Great, I thought, but she said your still out of warranty though.

I've read that other have had the same problem right after there warranty went out. If Sony knows there's a problem, why don't they admit it, and fix it or do a recall. I just put my camera on charge, and the next morning no picture when I turned it on. I am so upset w/ Sony right now.

I wish there was something I could do, $269 is alot of money. The rep even said it was high.

Mike

2. baffled

baffled Member

Where did you research Sony DCR-HC30?
    I just purchased one. The software Picture Package bundled with the camera is useless. The HandyCam is great quality using MS Movie Maker.

I can't "send to DV", but I think that's a firewire glich with my Audigy card or cabling. The send is too slow.

Should I anticipate the same problem with DCR-HC30?

Should I return my Handycam?

What specifically went wrong?

Did they explain reseting the camera?
    What's the procedure?