Not sure what to do.. projector or big screen TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by faithinu, Oct 19, 2005.

1. faithinu

faithinu Member

I am in the process of finishing out my basement and wanted to have a room just for my movies. I am not sure what i should buy for the room.. A projector or a rear projection tv. I am willing to spend about $2500 total for a projector and screen, or just the rear projector unit. I will have full control over light in the room being it is in the basement and there is no window in the room. My first question Which is better? What i mean is i am not sure which direction to go in. I have never seen a wall mounted projector displaying an image that i was in the room to see, and online it seems that everyone has a $5000 dollar projector. There are so many lower end projector out there that i am having trouble deciding on what one would be better. I have questions like Contrast ratio: 2000:1 ( what does this mean ) I have seen higher and lower numbers here. Is the higher number better. I guess what i am asking for is the best specs, and or let me know what projectors you all have and how well they are working for you. Any help would be awesome. I know that i rambled abit here, but i feel a little lost on this subject.

Thanks
    Roger

I also found this deal on line but not sure it is a good one.
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11040436&ec=BC-EC625-Cat2341&pos=0F

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  2. Daurker

Daurker Member

I personally have a 57" Hitachi HDTV. But if I had control over the lighting in a room say...in a basement I would go with a projector all the way. I've seen a 80" projector in HD and without having to fight the sunshine it's the most spectacular picture I've seen. Sorry I can't speak from owning one, but if I was in your shoes after having my TV (which I Love) I would go with a projector. Also look over this about your contrast question http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/74117

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  3. vwsport80

vwsport80 Regular member

faithinu,
    I'm so glad you asked beofre you went out and bought a tv. Most people don't even consider a front projector b/c they don't know about them. I own a front projector and I have to say there is no other way to go. I was on a smaller budjet than you, so I bought an Infocus SP4805 (around $1000) and I couldn't be happier and I don't even have light control. As far as contrast, the higher the number the better. Just remember that you will have to replace the bulb at about $400 a pop every 1000- 2000 hours. You have so many more options with a front projection, let your imagination go, and have fun!

4. vidsteve

vidsteve Member

I'll try to keep this quick, first of all I'm a vid engineer and a service tech, keep a couple things in mind 1. mounting the proj. , how easy will that be? getting power and source cables to it, structural concernes ie: how easy will it be to mount. 2. that proj. will not run forever, it will need to be relamped after 500 hrs or so to assure that the lumens stay high. also DLP or LCD , a DLP proj. needs to be a 3 chip unit with high contrast ,lcd is cheaper however and images can be "pixelated" and lcd has a tendency to have a blue or green tint. lets look at the screen ,do not let the sales geeks sell you a high gain screen, get something with a neutral gain . Yes a higher gain reflects more light but get it to high it wont just reflect the image but also the light path from the lens ,causing a God awful "hotspot" on the image.

A 'Good" rear proj T.V. doesnt require all that much consideration except LCD CRT or DLP, I recommend CRT we discussed lcd and dlp above those same things apply, a good CRT will run forever ,requires zero to minimal service and still has the best color representation on the market...oh yeah and is a little cheaper, oh yeah get a good test DVD with patterns and color bars and grey scales, take that to the store and ask to compare . If the sales guy has any clue at all he should have no prob. with that.

5. faithinu

faithinu Member

Thanks for all your help. I hear you about the CRT, and some what agree at least about the maintenance on it. But I am not worried about the bulb replacement. After all this is something special here. We are talking about a 100" screen. If I was going to go smaller I would just buy plasma, But I am not.. I want big, but on a budget. Has any one heard or no any one that has the infocus sp 5000. I am starting to see them for sale all around me know and it is one of the first i have seen working in person. I have to say that it looked good and there was a lot of light around, I could only image what it would be like if the lights we off.

Please keep the info coming, it is good to hear different opinions.

6. iam1

iam1 Member

faithinu

Hi

I own an Hitachi model number CR-RS55 and i can tell you, that we are all different in our mannerisms, but ot me the projector that i purchased was better at the time for me, and within the budget i had set, i currentl7y use the projector for running my Consoles through, but i have also hooked up my laptop and other things to the projectir and the qual;ity is out of this world, you are immersed within the action, whether playing a game, or watching a DVD (digital Versatile Disc), you can sit there at your hearts content and be happy???

Get yourserlf one bought, you will not regret it

7. sandytntn

sandytntn Member

I have a Toshiba (DLP) HD projector and a 106" screen. HD satellite, etc. Picture is incredible and as good or better than any HD tv I have seen. Projectors are much lighter now and I installed it myself. I used to have an LCD which was much heavier. Three years on the currents bulb. If u have the space for a theatre don't even consider anything else. I have had several friends and friends put in theatres after enjoying mine.
    Sandy